• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Basil is looking a bit more streamlined!

UrbanBunny

Warren Scout
And he wanted to show off his svelte new figure :wave:

(Basil is the less hairy one!)

okbpt.jpg

Here's the before, check out the side-spread:

24uz2n8.jpg

He's lost just under 400g in just over a month. He's much shinier (in fact he's sort of changed colour), much more active and has a lovely clean bum now. He's maintaining nicely on timothy hay, veggies/herbs and about 2 pellets a day...he could do with losing maybe 100g more but i'm not that concerned as he seems much healthier already.

Hilary has put on nearly 200g too. :D

He looks fantastic.... as well as gorgeous :D I'm trying to get Daisy to lose weight but it's not really working and we've been trying for about 3 months! I'd really appreciate a step by step guide of what you've done! Type of hays, type of veg and frequency, portion size, did you weigh the veg? Did you split their food up for feeding? Starting weight, I presume Basil is a minilop and indoor bun like Daisy!

WOW Whata difference!! :shock: Hes looking great, i know where to come if i ever need help with a bunny on a diet!! :thumb: Excellent :)

I'd really appreciate a step by step guide of what you've done! Type of hays, type of veg and frequency, portion size, did you weigh the veg? Did you split their food up for feeding? Starting weight, I presume Basil is a minilop and indoor bun like Daisy!

Basil is a dwarf lop. I think he was 2.6kg when I got him on new year's day but i've mislaid my records. :roll: He was a podgster anyway.

I think the main contributing factor has been Hilary. She's a particularly athletic/gymnastic and active bunny and he's had a tough time keeping up with her (but he bonded so quickly that he was desperate not to let her out of his sight). He's actually quite playful so I figured out his love of tunnels, throwing stuff and shredding and provided the appropriate apparatus for him to wear himself out (tunnel, phone book etc.).

No exact science/weights i'm afraid. I just gradually cut down pellets over about 2 weeks until they didn't have free access to any. Hilary gets a little handful fed by hand, but Basil soon worked that out so I now scatter a couple around for him to find while I feed H.

His old owners though it was the veggies aggravating his messy bum but I imagine it was rather that he couldn't groom himself properly, but I did cut out veg for about a week so I could monitor any changes.

This is where the hay comes in - I went for 100% timothy hay (from dust free hay) and just kept filling up the hay rack. One box (4kg) lasts me 2 weeks if that is any help but I don't use it for litter.

They get a bowl (probably a mug full) of green stuff per day as well - generally 50% spring greens or similar, and the rest is usually herbs. I can weigh/photograph their portion if you like but H eats 70% of it because she is quicker :roll: and likes her greens more. Basil took a while to get used to the flavours of the herbs etc. which I suppose are quite strong but H has had a variety since she was little. He's becoming more of a connoisseur now. :D

That's probably no help at all. I've just been lucky having fairly straight-forward buns!

Im sorry but Basil looks just like Pie :shock: :love:
You didnt happen to get him in Medway, Kent did you, and are you sure he's a boy!? :lol:

*goes in search of Pie*

Basil is a dwarf lop. I think he was 2.6kg when I got him on new year's day but i've mislaid my records. :roll: He was a podgster anyway.

I think the main contributing factor has been Hilary. She's a particularly athletic/gymnastic and active bunny and he's had a tough time keeping up with her (but he bonded so quickly that he was desperate not to let her out of his sight). He's actually quite playful so I figured out his love of tunnels, throwing stuff and shredding and provided the appropriate apparatus for him to wear himself out (tunnel, phone book etc.).

No exact science/weights i'm afraid. I just gradually cut down pellets over about 2 weeks until they didn't have free access to any. Hilary gets a little handful fed by hand, but Basil soon worked that out so I now scatter a couple around for him to find while I feed H.

His old owners though it was the veggies aggravating his messy bum but I imagine it was rather that he couldn't groom himself properly, but I did cut out veg for about a week so I could monitor any changes.

This is where the hay comes in - I went for 100% timothy hay (from dust free hay) and just kept filling up the hay rack. One box (4kg) lasts me 2 weeks if that is any help but I don't use it for litter.

They get a bowl (probably a mug full) of green stuff per day as well - generally 50% spring greens or similar, and the rest is usually herbs. I can weigh/photograph their portion if you like but H eats 70% of it because she is quicker :roll: and likes her greens more. Basil took a while to get used to the flavours of the herbs etc. which I suppose are quite strong but H has had a variety since she was little. He's becoming more of a connoisseur now. :D

That's probably no help at all. I've just been lucky having fairly straight-forward buns!

Thank you!! Maybe I feed too many veggies! Mine have dust free hay but Ive only recently cut out the burns green oat hay just in case! They have 6 pellets each a day 3 am 3 pm They have tons of boxes, tunnels and a 3 tier play area they are also free range and go up and down the stairs but the main difference between your regime and mine is the veggies! I feed twice a day and probably more that a mug full! If its not too much trouble Id love to know the weight of a typical portion you feed!

ETA: weighed a typical veg portion and it was 100g!

Last edited:
Back