• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can you use shredded newspaper for bedding

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering as I always have so many newspapers lying around is it ok to shred them and give them to the buns for bedding?

Well mine have them as tray liners so i think as long as it isnt coloured ink it should be fine. xx

Lots of people do but I have seen posts saying you shouldnt but I cant remember why. I think it was danger of getting it wrapped around their legs but Im not sure

Lots of people do but I have seen posts saying you shouldnt but I cant remember why. I think it was danger of getting it wrapped around their legs but Im not sure

I never considered that, not sure if I should use it now.

I use newspaper to line litter trays and the hutch but it's not shredded. :)

apparently the ink mixing with damp conditions 'could' create chemical reactions, or so I read.

Personally I don't use them as I have a few white or part white bunnies. However, Belle ended up with a green face today after the cardboard fruit box I have as a litter tray got wet by a spilt bowl and the ink rubbed on her face. A little hulky bunny

I use shredded paper, as in documents etc, in their litter tray under hay. Not had any problems. I think its like anything else really, like us if we took to heart all the food and "elf n safety" mumbo jumbo that's in the news etc I wouldnt eat and would be a hermit ;-) just a bit of common sense needed :)
I personally use straw and an old towel in their bedding though now they've take to weeing in there too :+(

I use shredded paper in the litter tray over other newspaper just lining the tray!! I also line the bottom of the dog crates with it. I have been doing it for years and never had a problem so far. It has never got wrapped round legs, I think because it's not very strong if it got tugged at all it would just break.

I first started using it after a vet suggested it for a guinea-pig who was lying in wet hay and getting a wet bottom-it's more absorbent. Does need changing at least once a day though (with two buns).

Back