PDA

View Full Version : can you use shredded newspaper for bedding

sally1974
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I was just wondering as I always have so many newspapers lying around is it ok to shred them and give them to the buns for bedding?

Grace65
03-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Well mine have them as tray liners so i think as long as it isnt coloured ink it should be fine. xx

weeble
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Lots of people do but I have seen posts saying you shouldnt but I cant remember why. I think it was danger of getting it wrapped around their legs but Im not sure

sally1974
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Lots of people do but I have seen posts saying you shouldnt but I cant remember why. I think it was danger of getting it wrapped around their legs but Im not sure

I never considered that, not sure if I should use it now.

weeble
03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I never considered that, not sure if I should use it now.

Sorry. It might have been Liz that said not to might be worth checking with her why

Grin
03-02-2011, 07:30 PM
I use newspaper to line litter trays and the hutch but it's not shredded. :)

lottielouise
03-02-2011, 08:18 PM
apparently the ink mixing with damp conditions 'could' create chemical reactions, or so I read.

Personally I don't use them as I have a few white or part white bunnies. However, Belle ended up with a green face today after the cardboard fruit box I have as a litter tray got wet by a spilt bowl and the ink rubbed on her face. A little hulky bunny

Domino27
04-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I use shredded paper, as in documents etc, in their litter tray under hay. Not had any problems. I think its like anything else really, like us if we took to heart all the food and "elf n safety" mumbo jumbo that's in the news etc I wouldnt eat and would be a hermit ;-) just a bit of common sense needed :-)
I personally use straw and an old towel in their bedding though now they've take to weeing in there too :+(

Janey
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I use shredded paper in the litter tray over other newspaper just lining the tray!! I also line the bottom of the dog crates with it. I have been doing it for years and never had a problem so far. It has never got wrapped round legs, I think because it's not very strong if it got tugged at all it would just break.

I first started using it after a vet suggested it for a guinea-pig who was lying in wet hay and getting a wet bottom-it's more absorbent. Does need changing at least once a day though (with two buns).

SarahP
04-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Newspaper ink in the UK is non-toxic and soy-based.