• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do i get rid of it?

shadow05

Mama Doe
right in know the title sounds bad but im not getting rid of my rabbit just so u know.

anyways ill get to my question how do u get rid of mold/mildew? it will be a really good thing if somebody can help me cause on one side of my room on the outside wall i have mildew growing there and if i can get rid of it then scooter can have massive home. ive tried a couple of things but i cant get it to come off and not grow back. and i dont want to put him there while its still there wouldnt be right on him and he might get something.

does anyone have any ideas?

Quite often its due to the outer wall being damp, and the damp feeding through.

You can buy a solution (probably from a builders merchant) for mildew that will temporarily get rid of it, but as long as the wall is damp it will just come back.

Could you not get some nic panels or run panels to block the wall off from Scooter?

Quite often its due to the outer wall being damp, and the damp feeding through.

You can buy a solution (probably from a builders merchant) for mildew that will temporarily get rid of it, but as long as the wall is damp it will just come back.

Could you not get some nic panels or run panels to block the wall off from Scooter?

yea but i thought that the mildew would make him ill. my room can get pretty cold and the outside wall does get wet quite a lot.

We ended up using a mix of bleach and warm water on ours (waited ages and our landlady did nothing about it, so we got fed up!)

It's left a bit of a grey mark on the wall where the mould was, but it hasn't come back since and it doesn't smell anymore :)

It could be because it is a cold spot and any moisture in the air settles there. We have this problem on a few outside walls. I would clean it with diluted bleach (as tiger_lily) suggested. Then once dry paint over the area with a anti mould paint. Then paint over it with your "normal" paint so it matches. It will probably still come back but it should take longer, it has worked for us :)

you can get electric dehumidifiers for a range of prices, you can also get non-electric ones that use crystals that are around £1-£3. I use these as Im a student and nothing I can do will stop the house being damp, it comes in through the walls.

Mould will grow back if the conditions are ideal for it, just keep on top of it :) only a large amount of mould or direct exposure will cause problems.

ETA- do you air your room out? opening your window for 10 mins every morning can work wonders! Moisture in the room evaporates because of the central heating, then hits the cold wall and condensates, making it damp and causing mould.

Last edited:
We have a dehumidifier, we put it on when we have damp washin, works wonders! Before we had one it made the wall papper go all mouldy but now it doesnt!

I use this stuff:

41561-preview.jpg

It's amazing at getting rid of the mould. You can buy paint that stops it coming back through. Special mould and mildew paint. But using that spray seems to get rid of ours for a good few months at a time.

where can i get a dehumidifier from? im gonna try this out and long with some mold spray. hopefully this will work well and scooter can have a bigger home. just figured it out he will have 11ft in length and 5 ft in width, which is pretty big lol at the moment his home is 4.5ft in length and 2.10ft in width.

which i would say is a huge improvement.

You can rent dehumidifiers, but also, just wash the mould. When I moved into my current house every wall was black. It's quite easy to just wash with a cloth, although it does smell nasty! Just keep up to date with the washing.

bleach and good air circulation in the room...also only use anti fungi paint ( i saw this on help my house is fallling down)
for mould on the cieling/wall

You can rent dehumidifiers, but also, just wash the mould. When I moved into my current house every wall was black. It's quite easy to just wash with a cloth, although it does smell nasty! Just keep up to date with the washing.

well at the moment were it is its hard to get to i have a load of furinture on that side of the room along with my bed ive done this cause i wanted to keep scooter away from it i would rather i got ill than him. hopefully when i go to move my room around ill be able to give it a really good clean before scooter has to go in. ill basically be giving him half my room when the new set up goes up. after this new set ups. ill change his home again but thats not going to be for quite a while. and by then he will probs have a friend.

Thats a very big pen, sure he'll love it! But if hes going to be taking up so much of your room, why dont you just have him freerange? Easy to bunny-proof with nic panels and cable piping:)

I use this stuff:

41561-preview.jpg

It's amazing at getting rid of the mould. You can buy paint that stops it coming back through. Special mould and mildew paint. But using that spray seems to get rid of ours for a good few months at a time.

Thick bleach works really well in getting black mould marks of sealent around windows and also off the walls, it works out a lot cheaper as well.

The product you are suggesting also works well.

Back