• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being Strict With The Buns Over Food ............

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
............... is so hard !! I am trying to get most of mine on to a pellet free diet.
I feel as though I am being so mean :cry:

They all eat lots of hays and a variety of veg. But they really LOVE their SS pellets and they are only getting 8 pellets a day :cry:

I then have to try to sneak extras to the few Buns that actually *need* them.
But trying to get SS pellets past permanently on alert Bunny noses is not easy.......not at all............... :shock:

Jane I have a few that would benefit from less noms, and I am cutting down their veggies to mainly greens, but their faces are so darn cute that I can't but help reach towards my pocket......

We should have a support group for mums that can't say no:lol:

OUt of interest, why are you excluding the pellets?

Because I want to feed a totally 'natural' diet to all those for whom it is appropriate.

Dont worry, I am not transposing my ED onto my Rabbits. What I am doing is being closely monitored by my Vet :)

Burns think buns should be feed on grasses, hays etc from what I remember, they have some information on their website.

Jane how can you say no to your rexes they have such a please feed me because I am lovely face.

I know exactly what you're going through. Years ago my vet told me to remove pellets from their diet as they are not actually needed when they have a hay and veg diet already. The buns did not like the decreasing pellets but once it stopped they soon became besotted more with their veg instead.

Of course now I have the problem of feeding them less veg - I've been removing carrot slowly. This is only because Beatrix is having probs reaching everything on her botty. Those big brown loving eyes are soooooooo hard to say no to.

Must admit I am a total failure at restricting pellets. I do give less than I used to but more than an eggcupful per bun. I give more spring greens than anything else (apart from hay) as they all love those. None of them are overweight (Sue sadly is underweight) and they do eat hay.

In the nicer weather when they can go out on the grass and I pick more natural foods for them, I will try and reduce the pellets a bit. I worry doing it in the winter as six of them are outdoor buns and it's been really cold.

I am a sucker for pleading bunny eyes:oops: Having said that they don't get sugary treats like they used to, only the natural ones.

I had a nightmare when Clover was on pellet-free, but Dusty was still getting a few. I remember I had to keep sneaking them to her when Clover was distracted! :lol:

i always wanted to know what pellets you fed jane, i switched to SS last year, although they only have a small amount

could you try decreasing them slowly and hope the buns don't notice, like go from 8 to 7 etc :lol:

I've had to be really strict with mine too.

Benji's diet is different to the others (fussy bun:roll:), but C&N don't get their egg cup of pellets till 10 now when I go to bed, as they have only hay during the day, and then herbs when I get in from college, strictly nothing else.

They are not happy:lol:

you're braver than me jane! no way could eric go without his beloved ss pellets. he bounds out from wherever he is when i call 'pellet time':lol:

aww I could never take pellets away from my 4 :(

Just out of interest, do you have to do this?? :?

You dont have to do anything. I just believe that a Rabbit does best on a diet that is as close to what they would eat in the wild. Commercial Food is really more for our convenience. A Rabbit can do exceptionally well on a diet that is made up of a variety of different hays, grass, edible weeds and leaves, vegetables.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

It is ALWAYS important to discuss a change to a 'Natural' diet with your Vet. It is not appropriate for some Rabbits in some circumstances xx

Spenser's eating getting worse coincided with my reduction to his pellet ration. I still think this is a good idea in principle, but will not be reducing them any further until he is eating significantly more hay. He's on Excel pellets - I don't know of anywhere locally that does SS.

Spenser's eating getting worse coincided with my reduction to his pellet ration. I still think this is a good idea in principle, but will not be reducing them any further until he is eating significantly more hay. He's on Excel pellets - I don't know of anywhere locally that does SS.

You can buy them online. Maybe add some to your next order from Animal Magic? :wave:

Mine would be quite upset if I stopped giving them SS pellets. I think a natural diet is a good idea, hay being the main thing and then fresh grass and herbs. I feed mine a bit a cabbage greens almost every day, and once in a while a small piece of carrot or apple, but in the wild they mostly eat grass, leaves, roots and bark, so cabbage isn't normally on their menu there either. Nor are fenugreek crunchies. :oops::lol:

Mine would be quite upset if I stopped giving them SS pellets. I think a natural diet is a good idea, hay being the main thing and then fresh grass and herbs. I feed mine a bit a cabbage greens almost every day, and once in a while a small piece of carrot or apple, but in the wild they mostly eat grass, leaves, roots and bark, so cabbage isn't normally on their menu there either. Nor are fenugreek crunchies. :oops::lol:

This was Harry last night after his TOO SMALL portion of SS...............

016-10.jpg

Oh dear !!

I found it hard enough cutting down on Buzzbys pellets just to get him to loose some weight (vets orders, he was a little tubby and I assumed it was just fluff :oops:). I would give him his usual veggies and just a few pellets, but mum felt sorry for him and started giving him extra veggies, extra pellets and I was wondering why he wasnt loosing weight! Now we have an understanding, no one gives him any food except me unless I ask otherwise. If you stop the pellets totally, how much veggie stuffs do you need to feed to make up for it? Ive just ordered some hays to try as he's a terror for only eating just grass and the least fibre containing parts of our own hay. Im hoping if I can get something he'll eat more of Ill be ok! Im guessing you can still feel apple twigs and leaves and things as much as usual?

Back