• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Early myxi jab??

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

My Rabbit Jasper is due his latest myxi booster (as it has been 6 month) however I now have another rabbit Jessica who had her first myxi jab 3 months ago. Ideally they would be in sync so i could take them for the jabs at the same time. As i dont want to wait 3 months for Jasper I enquired at the vets to see if i could get Jessica done early. I rang the vets but the receptionist told me that it was too early for another one. If i heard the same from a vet i guess i would just live with it and get them done seperately but as this came from the receptionist i was wondering if anyone knows if this is correct?

Thanks

Dan

Personally I don't think it does then any harm to get them done early. We have taken in rabbits before when we weren't sure of their vaccination status and our vet always said it wouldn;t hurt to do them even if they had already been done.

But obviously it is your vet that needs to agree to give the vaccination :)

My old vet messed up a myxi vacc (went all over me instead of bun, hence why we left) and when I asked the manufacture if it was safe to revaccinate they said:

Whilst not absolutely necessary, the intradermal component of the vaccination is something that is recommended to give the best possible chance of a good vaccine response. Different vets try to achieve this in different ways- and admittedly it can be awkward so not all are as successful as might be liked. We are always happy to offer additional advice to veterinary surgeons should the datasheet recommended technique be found difficult- I myself never got on well with this method in practice. One can never easily tell whether a vaccine has “taken” without some form of testing. Unfortunately it is not an easy option with this specific vaccine since the test that might be done is not commercially available and may not correlate perfectly with immunity to myxomatosis anyway. Revaccination would typically be a safe option in individuals where it was deemed necessary but this would be something for discussion with your veterinary surgeon.

Thanks guys,

It was a tricky one as asking to speak to the vet after ive spoke to the receptionist might suggest I'm accusing her of being wrong. I think it's a case of the receptionist playing safe rather than giving me potentially wrong information. I'll think i'll just take them both along for the journey and ask the vet directly while im in there and they might just be happy to do them both.

My rabbits hate car journeys so I'm really keen to get them in sync for minimum vet visits (as well as the obvious inconvenience to me).

Thanks again

Dan

Thanks guys,

It was a tricky one as asking to speak to the vet after ive spoke to the receptionist might suggest I'm accusing her of being wrong. I think it's a case of the receptionist playing safe rather than giving me potentially wrong information. I'll think i'll just take them both along for the journey and ask the vet directly while im in there and they might just be happy to do them both.

My rabbits hate car journeys so I'm really keen to get them in sync for minimum vet visits (as well as the obvious inconvenience to me).

Thanks again

Dan

Dan your buns are just :love::love:

I don't blame you. None of my 11 are in sync and I spend my whole life at the vets. Top that off with one poorly bun and my vets are now threatening to get me my own chair in the waiting room. :lol:

I'd be really interested to read what your vet says. I have eight buns and six of them are due their myxi at the same time and my vet comes out to me. George and Furby are due individually at different times and I would love to synchronise their jabs so the vet can come out and do them all to save them the stress of the car journey and having to go into the surgery.

I can't see why it would be a problem. At 3 months they are totally recovered from the vaccination. I would definately speak to the vet, receptionists have given out some very poor information in the past.

Ha thanks Laura, they are cute but also very annoying when they scratch at my bedroom door demanding their food on a weekend morning, guess they dont appreciate it's saturday!!!!

Thanks everyone, well I have an appointment on Saturday so ill find out and let you all know what they say!

Hiya,

For those interested the vet recommended to not re-vaccinate at it stays in their system for the full 6 months. Instead she recommended I wait 3 months, effectively meaning my first rabbit will be 9 months since his last jab.

There would still be trace amounts of the vaccine and as mine are house rabbits the risk is very low.

I still think it would be ok the immunise early, I don't understand how they can be so accurate but when in doubt go wth what the vet says i guess.

Thanks for the info. As the majority of mine are outdoor buns I don't think I'd want to take the risk of leaving it over six months. That means I have a five done at home and then three lots of single visits. Will see what my own vet says when I next go.

When I rehomed Gemma from PAH adoption my vet was happy to vaccinate her straight away and said it would do no harm if she had only recently been done.

Difficult to know what to do for the best. I don't want to compromise the buns' health for convenience but it is sooooo much less stressful for them when the vet comes here and he obviously won't do that for just one bun vaccination.

Yeah i know what you mean, Jasper is so fearless around the house yet stick him in the car and he is petrified. I guess the answer i was given was very "text book" but perhaps a more experienced vet would have a different opinion.

Its a tricky one but obviously much easier for me with mine being house buns. I have no contact with other animals so to wait 3 months probably isnt a big deal.

good luck with whatever you decide.

Back