• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just curious...

lucy24

Mama Doe
one of my buns was a dutch cross and had problems with teeth when she was 8 and died shortly after because after having them burred she wouldnt eat. (however i think there was something else going on too).
was just wondering if you can tell from a young age when they will develop problems? also,ive never had lops myself but i know they are more prone to teeth problems. however has anyone ever had a lop without teeth issues? Does it mainly come down to diet?

I have two lops, neither have had any dental issues yet, but both are quite young (both <1yr).

I know nethies are prone to dental issues, due to the size/shape of their heads.

I think diet is important (lots of hay obviously) but there are other factors to think about, such as genetics (bad breeding etc)

I wasn't aware Lops were more prone to dental issues, not heard that before.

:wave: I own 2 lops are their teeth are fine. A diet of LOTS of hay with pellets & fresh veg is the best way to keep a rabbits teeth trim. :D

I have two lops, neither have had any dental issues yet, but both are quite young (both <1yr).

I know nethies are prone to dental issues, due to the size/shape of their heads.

I think diet is important (lots of hay obviously) but there are other factors to think about, such as genetics (bad breeding etc)

well i could be wrong about lops being prone to it. i do love lops though- they're extremely cute!:D

teeth

I have one full Dwarf lop and seven Dwarf lop/Dutch crosses... None have dental probs.. You can see if the teeth are inline from very young..
They need to eat more hay than anything else. A small amount of nuggets daily, aswell as the veg.. I give hard veg and i also give bread thats stood and gone stale so its solid!.. I break it into pieces and put it in my fridge.
Fruit wood is good in the runs...xxx

I've heard this a lot (although I have no personal experience) supposedly it's because their faces are more "squiched up" (if you know what I mean!) so their teeth often end up badly aligned.

Back