• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a scared rabbit or an affectionate rabbit? So confused :S

zayna1

Warren Scout
My little female 9 week old mini lop bun seems to have quite a split personality. I have had her since 7 weeks old and sometimes she is an absolute darling, sweet as anything, and other times she is a right little monster :lol: When I approach her, she will either run for cover, or bound up to me and its always quite random! :S
just a minute she was sitting in the middle of the room, so I went up to her and started to stroke her on her nose, and she kind of buried her head under my hand, so it was kind of flat on the floor, like in a kind of bowing position resting on her front legs with her eyes either squinting or closed. I know this can be a sign of submission, so I was wondering if I scared her! She was kind of making a crunching feeling in her head too :S it may have been purring as I didnt really hear anything! :S I'm kind of confused as I'm a new owner. She does have a friend, a 6 month old male, they have free-range time together now and play/groom/get on well after slow introductions, but they don't live together yet however they will when she has been spayed. CONFUSED!! :oops:

Sounds like she wanted head rubs, and teeth grinding is a happy bun!

:wave:

Welcome to the forum!

I would say that your bun seems to be enjoying being stroked on the head but im only going with my experience as my 2 love it & bow their head & 'purr' :D

Whereabouts in UK you from?

Maybe it depends how you approach her, like if she can see you coming from a distance then sh'll maybe run towards you, but if you catch her a bit unawares it could frighten her and make her run off?

How do you approach her? Where from i mean - front/side/back/above?

Also, side note, is her 'male' friend neutered? I only ask, as you say she's not spayed yet and you are introducing them - if he wasn't neutered, there could be babies :wave:

yep he sure is! I would never risk a pregnancy lol and I agree that pets should all be neutered in general. I approach her from the front, always, and I talk to her and move slowly too :S that's why I dont get it, as I always do the same things :?

(oh not sure why it matters :lol: but im from London :D:thumb: )

yep he sure is! I would never risk a pregnancy lol and I agree that pets should all be neutered in general. I approach her from the front, always, and I talk to her and move slowly too :S that's why I dont get it, as I always do the same things :?

(oh not sure why it matters :lol: but im from London :D:thumb: )

Just in case you arent aware, bunnies have a blind spot right infront of them, where they can't see at all, like the A Pillar in a car, where you can't see :wave: Sometimes, talking to them before you try and approach helps, so they know you are in the room etc :wave:

Ahhhh! My rabbit buries her head in my hand, she's being affectionate :love: Me and my bun have this special little moment together in the mornings just before I feed her. It's our 'good morning!' greeting to eachother :D

My rabbit also makes a little noise when I stroke her head, just when I get to the bit between her ears.

With regards to split personalities, rabbits can be just like us humans sometimes, we can be moody or happy just like rabbits can be. One minute my rabbit is following me everywhere for attention the next day she just wants to sit and sulk :lol: Sometimes they want to be stroked, sometimes they don't. If she sticks her head out a little, it means she wants you to stroke her head, if she hops away when you go to stroke her then leave her be, don't try and chase her, she'll just keep hopping away :roll: You'll get used to it and will learn when they want to be touched and when they don't. She will always be the boss! :lol:

oooooh lol thats cool i've never met another zayna before! :lol: met a gayna tho lol :lol::shock:

Back