• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

couple of questions re hay....eating and keeping dry

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I currently just buy a bale of hay locally for my rabbits, I'm assuming this is meadow hay? Smells ok and they do eat it but not enough. Have started mixing herbs and readigrass through it plus stick it in boxes, toilet rolls etc. However because they are outside buns apart from the hutch their only other shelter is underneath the hutch where there litter trays are. What options have I got to feed their hay in that will keep dry? I'm going to (actually o/h is) fit a hay rack in the hutch but they don't spend too much time up there they are always in their run.

Also....Hay cakes! Is this just a gimmicky thing or do bunnies appear to like these better than a handful of hay. Seem a bit pricey.....

going to order a sample pack of hays from the hay experts....

Last edited:
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/13210

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/193152

The first one is quite small but can be hung on the inside of the hutch. I like them fo stuffing their herbs in to make it take longer to eat them.

The second is quite pricey but my guys love them - I have 2 - and they are also a great way to make them work for their pellets. I love watching them stand up and whack it with their paws to make the pellets come out!!

My run has no cover so I bought a cheap waterproof picnic blanket and put that over the top upside down and attached it with clothes pegs. Works well in the rain and sun.

Hope you find something which works!:wave:

Thanks you two that has helped! I filled a plastic box up yesterday with some hay, herbs and readigrass in and put it directly under the hutch...in no time at all BB dragged it out into the open and the weather is naff at the moment.

Back