• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby *update*

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
I rescued ruby and jay as a "neutered/spayed" pair.
when they had the check ups the vet nurse said too watch ruby because she wasnt convinced that shed been spayed and she felt podgey but couldnt feel babies.
after finding fluffy teabags(LMAO) on little Jay im not to impressed!

but seeing as jay had'nt shown any "signs" of being interested in ruby figured shed been done, jays booked in next month for neuter and a knot shaved off his botty.:)

this morning ruby was making strange noises and would'nt let me near her even at times biting me :( this really isnt like my little girl,
what do you suggest i do im really hoping shes not pregnant it'd break my heart if i lost her and cant believe i put my trust in the rescue i got them from :(
when i lost my female mouse to pregnancy it broke my heart.

at the moment they are still together should i seperate them?

:cry::cry:

Last edited:
If she is pregnant, count 31 days from the time they were together and could have mated. That would be a 'due date'.

Oh and yeah, seperate :wave:

Last edited:
I think a vets trip is in order!

Is she making a nest at all?

Separating could cause a lot of stress, I'd wait till you know or separate but so they can still see/smell each other.

its not a rescue here guys its a stable in leek (i just rang and)... she" had rescues in from several places, she was told when she took them in they were both neutered/spayed"
she says that they came together and shes had them together for 3 months fine:shock:
:?
does it sound as though its pregnancy behaviour, ill be honest i know alot about most animals bit pregnant buns isnt one :cry:

I think a vets trip is in order!

Is she making a nest at all?

Separating could cause a lot of stress, I'd wait till you know or separate but so they can still see/smell each other.

not that ive witnessed, they have a double teir hutch i can block him upstairs hers down until the new hutch is built hopefully this weekend:(

going to have to me thinks. ive seperated them she is much calmer this evening she feels fat and nipples hanging slighly but no mamory gland filling i can tell.

shes not made a nest i will pop in the vets at lunch break tomorow and make an appointement for the evening :) please keep sending vibes for me if i lose her it'd kill me:cry:

i no fatalitys are few and far between but its not fair on her shes been through so much already in her life :evil:
do vets do abortions for buns?

ok ive had time to get over the idea if she is ill have to muddle through best i can,
taking her to the vet tomorrow evening after work

any ideas on how the hutch should be setup for ruby and babies?

Last edited:
i no fatalitys are few and far between but its not fair on her shes been through so much already in her life :evil:
do vets do abortions for buns?

Yes, they can do emergency spays, so you can ask the vet about whether this would be a possibility in her case.

Let us know how she gets on at the vets! :wave: good luck!

so sorry guys i forgot in my complete hysteria to update you, vet said she is too far gone for a emergency spay:cry:.
shes really fat and can feel them wiggling but shes not made a nest yet shes still be a stroppy bunny :cry:
i just want everything to be ok im thinking of camping next to the hutch when she gives birth so i can make sure she is okay...
please help guys im distraught.

i need as much help as what to do with her i seperated her and jay but they both where really stressing and digging at the floor so i allowed them together..

Help please!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

so sorry guys i forgot in my complete hysteria to update you, vet said she is too far gone for a emergency spay:cry:.
shes really fat and can feel them wiggling but shes not made a nest yet shes still be a stroppy bunny :cry:
i just want everything to be ok im thinking of camping next to the hutch when she gives birth so i can make sure she is okay...

i need as much help as what to do with her i seperated her and jay but they both where really stressing and digging at the floor so i allowed them together..

Aww hun, hope shes ok x

I'm no good with pregnancy/babies i'm afraid, but i wanted to warn you. The fact they are back together again, they may well now have a 2nd litter of kits, 31 days after the birth of the first :/

Rabbits have a 2nd uterine horn (i think thats the right terminology) which means they can be pregnant, in effect, twice at once, but at different stages.

You should really seperate, but leave close to each other. The male may also attack the babies, so thats something to be aware of.

I've no experience in this but if you keep them together I'd guess its highly likely the min babies are born he could get her pregnant again. I don't know if he'd feel threatened by babies aswell so might do them some harm. If they are getting stressed from seperation could you put cages side by side so they can see and smell each other?

Hi, ive never had a pregnant bun only one that had a phantom pregnency!
.. that was scary enough, you must be really panicy!
all i know is she will make a nest when expecting normally using hay and fur! so dont worry is see her pulling out her fur... you could provide a box for her to make a nest in. i also beleive your not suppose to handle the babies to much either due to your scent going on them and not mother buns... ? can anyone verify that?

Back