• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eeeeek, somebody's ferret is in next door's garden

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Their son's dog alerted them to it late last night - it was in the middle of the garden but retreated behind the shed so they don't know if the ferret is still there or has moved on.

The ferret seems very tame but (understandably) the old lady next door didn't want to pick it up. She warned me this morning as she was concerned about my bunnies, bless her.

What do I do? I've suggested she rings the RSPCA as they might lay a trap for him/her but am wondering what else can be done. :?

I feel sorry for the ferret - it's no doubt cold and hungry but am also worried about the bunnies while it's hanging around nearby.

Oh noo! I dont know anything about bunnies to suggest a solution. :? Hope it all gets sorted soon! x

If it were me I would try to catch it, tempt it with something yummy into a cat carrier. If its tame it would most probably come if you called for it near where it is maybe hiding.

Poor thing :( why didn't the women just pick him up? He's not a large vicious dog :roll: I hate it when people are like that, now that little ferret could end up hurt or lost :(

Poor thing :( why didn't the women just pick him up? He's not a large vicious dog :roll: I hate it when people are like that, now that little ferret could end up hurt or lost :(

I think thats a little harsh Will :wave:

She's an older lady who might have physical issues meaning she can't chase a ferret around. A scared ferret could easily scratch/bite - i know, some friends used to have a pair and i was bitten on more than one occasion.

If you have a spare carrier Karen, perhaps you could lace it with food, but the problem is i guess you have to be there to watch constantly :?

Oh dear! There is a ferret rescue in southend, they may be able to help. I'd keep an eye on the buns kennel today!

Location county: Essex
Location town: Ongar
Rescue name: Essex Ferret Welfare Society
Web link: No web site
Contact name: Wendy and Alan Brett
Contact e-mail: rescue@efws.org
Contact phone number: 01277 364 115

Location town: Romford
Rescue name: Ferret Friends
Web link: http://www.ferretfriendsrescue.info
Contact name: John Grice and Peter Knight
Contact e-mail: jgrice1@googlemail.com
Contact phone number: John 07963 705 983/Peter 01708 783 073

Because there's a classic TV clip of a TV presenter (can't think of his name at the mo) with a ferret biting his finger and hanging by its teeth, which was extremely painful for him and lasted several minutes. Most people in the UK who don't have personal experience of ferrets will associate them with this image. I wouldn't just pick up a ferret as I don't know enough about them. I agree it's sad for the ferret, especially if it's tame but I don't blame the old girl for being wary.

Really don't know what I'd do Karen but I'd be worried sick if it was near me. Hope it's found soon, both for the sake of the bunnies and the ferret.

My ferret went walk about, thank god someone caught him and he ended up at a ferret rescue. We were so glad to get him back. It was mating season so he was looking for Jills, not food.

It's coming upto season again. So he's probably looking for the girlies. Put some cat meat down for him and try and catch him. Try and find a ferret rescue in the area. They may know him, through a club, or he may be chipped.

If you have a carrier put some blankets and some milk and food in it (cat and dog biscuits or meat will do fine or even a bit of chicken as they love that) leave the door open and if the ferret is cold and hungry it will climb inside for the warmth and food then you can just shut the door ferrets like to sleep a lot so if you just check it every now and then you should be fine, and about your rabbits yes ferrets are used to catch them but the ferrets dont kill them just scare them out of the holes so your rabbits should be fine but i would just make sure you keep them safe for now just incase better to be safe than sorry really

Lots of people would be to frightened to catch a ferret/polecat I know my friend is as she heard something inn her outhouse a month or so back and when she opened the door a ferret ran out, she said it was following her so seemed friendly but she went in and left it!! I told her to come get me if anything like that happened again and I would catch it, it was when we had all that snow too, poor thing must have been lost :(

Oh dear! There is a ferret rescue in southend, they may be able to help. I'd keep an eye on the buns kennel today!

Location town: Ongar
Rescue name: Essex Ferret Welfare Society
Web link: No web site
Contact name: Wendy and Alan Brett
Contact e-mail: rescue@efws.org
Contact phone number: 01277 364 115

Location town: Romford
Rescue name: Ferret Friends
Web link: http://www.ferretfriendsrescue.info
Contact name: John Grice and Peter Knight
Contact e-mail: jgrice1@googlemail.com
Contact phone number: John 07963 705 983/Peter 01708 783 073

Thanks for that Lou. :wave: I'll ring them and see what they suggest.

The bunnies are locked away and have plenty of hiding places. They only free range when I'm there but I'm now a bit reluctant to even do that until the poor ferret is found.

William - the lady next door is 75 and I don't blame her one bit for not wanting to pick the ferret up. She knows nothing about them and would have had nowhere to put him/her once she had picked him up anyhow.

Bunny Buddy, you mean Richard Whiteley I think. :thumb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xHEj3Gk4Q

I'm going to see my neighbour in a minute and see if there is any news, and we will see about putting a carrier and food down. Hopefully he hasn't moved on - there are lots of shrubs etc in her garden so he might be hiding out somewhere.

Hope the fert is ok and safe.Please dont give him milk.It will give him scours.A bit of cat meat or chicken if youre feeling flush!!!
They are normally delighted to see folk if theyre lost.Wont show his true colours for a while if hes relieved to see you!!
(Had ferts 20 yrs)

Hope the fert is ok and safe.Please dont give him milk.It will give him scours.A bit of cat meat or chicken if youre feeling flush!!!
They are normally delighted to see folk if theyre lost.Wont show his true colours for a while if hes relieved to see you!!
(Had ferts 20 yrs)

Thanks. :thumb: Skye has applaws tinned cat food - it's around 80% real chicken with rice and water. I was going to put some of that out as the smell would probably draw him in. Would that be ok?

Thanks. :thumb: Skye has applaws tinned cat food - it's around 80% real chicken with rice and water. I was going to put some of that out as the smell would probably draw him in. Would that be ok?

Luxury!! Dont be afraid to pick him up,if you get him lured.He may even be chipped, you just dont know!!! But I neednt say keep him away from your bunnehs.Thats possibly why hes loitering anyway!! Fuds!!!!!!!!!

Dont be afraid to pick him up,if you get him lured.

:shock: Eldest dd has volunteered for that job. I'm happy (as a good parent) to stand back and let her do it. :oops: :lol:

The neighbours are out at the moment. I just hope the poor mite hasn't gone too far. :(

Odds are Karen, fert is asleep, waiting for dusk, quite close by.Specially if there are bunnehs close by too.In fields, in hutches........
You know what they say, keep a friend close, but an enemy even closer.

Yeah, I guess its a little harsh, but bitey ferret or tame ferret, I'd still pick it up. If you're afraid it might bite just pick it up carefully and hold it in a way that it can't reach around and bite you.

Because there's a classic TV clip of a TV presenter (can't think of his name at the mo) with a ferret biting his finger and hanging by its teeth, which was extremely painful for him and lasted several minutes. Most people in the UK who don't have personal experience of ferrets will associate them with this image. I wouldn't just pick up a ferret as I don't know enough about them. I agree it's sad for the ferret, especially if it's tame but I don't blame the old girl for being wary.

oh I guess they're viewed differently here. They're seen as cute "exotic" pets. They're over $100 here (though you can find them for free on free ads) so I bet people would probably catch them right away. They kinda seem more like dogs in the UK.

No more sign of him yet. :( Food is out but it's not been touched.

I spoke to my neighbour yesterday afternoon and she had checked the garden but couldn't see him.

I rang one of the ferret rescues Lou linked to and got pretty much the same advice as from here - the lady said they have a live trap and would have let me use it but it's already out on loan.

Really don't know what I'd do Karen but I'd be worried sick if it was near me. Hope it's found soon, both for the sake of the bunnies and the ferret.

The late Richard Whitely! x

Back