• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I no longer want my rabbit

Unhappy

New Kit
I know you're all going to be angry at me for saying and feeling this, but its true. I researched rabbits well before getting one and knew what to expect. But i get no enjoyment out of having a rabbit, everyone on here painted such a wonderful picture of life with a rabbit. All i do is clean it out and feed it - i get nothing back.

Its not fair on the rabbit or me im so depressed with this situation. I wish i had no feelings and could just give it away, but its my responsiblility so i have to suffer on or find a home that will give it the time, space and love it needs. :(

Im sorry you feel this way.

People here don't 'paint a picture' as such, we just share our experiences.

How do you mean you 'dont get anything back' ? What were you expecting, did you have expectations?

How long have you had your bunny and how old is he/she? They take time to show their personailities etc.

I'm so sorry you feel this way but it is better to do something about it, so it is good you are posting about it.

Do you spend time with your bun? It might help to get to know him/her and find out their personality traits? They are very easy to love and get to know if you put the time in.

If you really dont want to though, maybe you can look into re-homing to a home that will have the time/inclination to offer the bunny more than you can?

I do think it's unfair that you blame people on here for 'painting a picture' though. But i am glad you are posting so that you can get help in your next steps.

Sorry you feel like this :(
If you do want to rehome why not try and do it through the forum, look at the rabbits in need section for details how to.
I think it's better to rehome if things aren't working out, just make sure it goes to a good home. Is he/she neutered and vaccinated? Where are you?

'get back'? What do you expect your rabbit to give you? I can't understand why you dont like your rabbit. maybe you should keep it indoors and let it free range, they're just like cats/dogs then.

I have had my rabbit about 6 months. I wasnt blaming the forum for painting a false picture i was being honest about how this forum made me feel about getting a rabbit - i just am missing something obviously.

I expected to enjoy watching it interact with its environment and enjoy gainings its trust. I realise now that isnt really enough for me and i want more from a pet. That sounds awful. Sorry.

I have no idea how to find a good home. Would never put it on free ads and rescues are full.

I know you're all going to be angry at me for saying and feeling this, but its true. I researched rabbits well before getting one and knew what to expect. But i get no enjoyment out of having a rabbit, everyone on here painted such a wonderful picture of life with a rabbit. All i do is clean it out and feed it - i get nothing back.

Its not fair on the rabbit or me im so depressed with this situation. I wish i had no feelings and could just give it away, but its my responsiblility so i have to suffer on or find a home that will give it the time, space and love it needs. :(

i felt like this with scooter he is a new handle rabbit and at the start he didnt like me much. but he has eventually warmed upto me. it does take a while for a rabbit to warm upto there owner. try spending more time with the bunny get to know him. eventually the rabbit will ease up and let u in.

i wouldnt give up just yet. i felt the same way u did when i first got scooter he was a pain in the butt. he always sprayed on me, bite, scartched me and everything. but i down right decided that i wasnt gonna give up on him i wanted to try everything i could before i came to a decision that i would have to get rid of him. it hyas been hard but a lot of thihave changed hes changed im a lot more tolerant of him now. and i dont think id be able to give him up now that ive bonded with him, yea hes still a pain but eventually hell calm down either because hes been neutered or because of age.

how long have u had the bunny for?

I don't think any of us "paint a perfect picture" of owning a rabbit, its very hard work just like any other animal.

Rabbits don't "give back" anything, they will lick you once they trust and love you, they will binky when they are happy and they really interact with you when you play with them.

All animal's need to be cleaned out and fed, its the same with a human isn't it :) I have 4 rabbits, 6 guinea pigs and two hamsters now thats a lot to clean out and feed;)

Firstly a house bun is easier to get to know than a garden bun. When they are living outdoors you dont get to see what they are really like.
Everyone has a character and thats what makes them. Do you see bun out playing or is he mainly locked up. Do you get on the floor and play daft games with them? Make things rattles (pop bottle with dry rice in) watch them throw it about and pass it back to you.
I'm not sure what you were expecting as bun is a living thing and will do what they want. My buns aren't cuddly bunnies but that doesnt mean you cant get yours used to tickles mine love nothing more than me lying on the rug with them stroking there faces and if im luckly ill have a angel flop and a winston standing on my back for a better view.
However buns are destructive if they find something good to chomp and you really dont nmeed to be house proud I make an effort if we have guests otherwise there is toys all over and woodshavings that follow us everywhere. Oh and if im really lucky winston kicks poop out the hutch at you wwhen you walk past.
I think perhaps you were expecting too much but perhaps step into bunhs shoes and see the world from there view, its the little things that count to them.
And of course if you do start changing your feelings then bun would prob love a friend and thats when you see another change they depend on each other and play together which is great fun to watch.
If you decide buns not for you its great your going to re-home yourself that way you can make sure they get a really good home but if you feel it all gets too much then please come back for help.
I'm sorry you feel let down, it does take time and we all have off days I promise you. Mine is when I com home and find the curtains/sofa chewed or peed on (ours never get locked up) but with time you can enjoy them and the fact you have done research shows you wanted one so what seems to be the biggest problems then maybes we can help?
www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com perhaps you can read through our diary we dont leave anything out we feel we have to tell the good and bad to give everyone the truth.

I have had my rabbit about 6 months. I wasnt blaming the forum for painting a false picture i was being honest about how this forum made me feel about getting a rabbit - i just am missing something obviously.

I expected to enjoy watching it interact with its environment and enjoy gainings its trust. I realise now that isnt really enough for me and i want more from a pet. That sounds awful. Sorry.

I have no idea how to find a good home. Would never put it on free ads and rescues are full.

At least you are being honest. And at least you are thinking about how to rehome responsibly. Maybe if we knew whereabouts you are, we could give you suggestions of what to do next? x

Is your bun a girl or a boy (and what's his/her name?):wave:

How much time do you spend with him/her? I'm sorry you're not happy. Hopefully we can help in some way!

'get back'? What do you expect your rabbit to give you? I can't understand why you dont like your rabbit. maybe you should keep it indoors and let it free range, they're just like cats/dogs then.

i was thinking that keep it indoor and then maybe u can spend more time bonding with it. ull be able to see more of the rabbits behaviour and also get to know him better because hes inside with u. i wouldnt suggest bringing it into ur room though lol

But thats the thing really they aren't!
They are rabbits!
If you expect them to be like a cat or a dog then you will be disappointed.
As small prey animals they require a different approach to a cat or dog.
You earn their trust in different ways to a cat or dog.
I'm sorry that the OP hasn't bonded with their bun as yet but I'm sure all is not lost.
Although its aimed at kids this pamphlet makes some good points perhaps the OP will find it helpful.
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/you_and_your_bun_aug_05.pdf
I'd also suggest trying to enjoy the 'spectator pet' element that rabbits provide - they're brilliant to watch :)

To get something back, you have to give something. What do you give?

Also, is this a second account of yours? Or have you been lurking for over six months without signing up?

At least you are being honest. And at least you are thinking about how to rehome responsibly. Maybe if we knew whereabouts you are, we could give you suggestions of what to do next? x

Completely agree, it must be very hard for you to be so honest especially on a rabbit forum. At least you are thinking about the rabbit. I am sure someone will be able to help or advise you in the best way to rehome your ittle bun. Good luck:)

Sad its your first post.

Im not going to persuade you to keep your rabbit. There are a list of rescues on the site and you should contact them. Alternatively speak to a moderator and see if you can put a photo of your bunny under rabbits in need to find a home.

If you have been reading the site for six months, Im sure you realize its hard to find a new home for a bunny.

You shouldn't rehome your rabbit just because he's not 'giving enough back'.

Get him a friend and you will enjoy watching him being happy and in love with his partner.

This is very sad :cry: Not liking the fact the rabbit doesn't appear to have a name but is referred to as "it" :cry::cry:

Questions that sprung to mind:

1) is bun in the house or hutch? If hutch consider changing this.
2) is he/she neutered/spayed. If not - do it!
3) ****

Edited because apparently I know nothing about rabbit welfare

Last edited:
To get something back, you have to give something. What do you give?

Also, is this a second account of yours? Or have you been lurking for over six months without signing up?

Maybe they have just been reading the forum before they signed up for help? :D

Back