• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you seen the new 80cm cage from Pets @ Home.

I'm writing about Guinea pigs not buns.

Just popped into Pets @ home to look. I never buy from there. Just inside the door was a huge stack of 80cm Guinea pig cages for £40. Please be awear that they are far too small for Guinea pigs. Evan for 1 living on there own.

I do have one, as I went to compleate a rehome and the person had brought this cage. I swapped it for one of my larger cages. I now only use it as my over night hospital cage. I brought big uncle Bertie back from the brink 2 nights ago. He was in the cage overnight and no more. But he really didn't feel like running around.

Being a rescue myself, I've put in on my front page I don't rehome into this size. Please pass this information onto any other Guinea pig rescues you know, and or rabbit rescues / owners.

80cm?? :shock::shock::shock:

Its so worrying that people who dont know any better might house their piggies in that :(

I certainly would not allow any of my piggies to be re-homed in these cages. I've always thought the pets at home hutch's (the large two tier ones) were good value for money but this takes the biscuit. I think a formal complaint should be sent to head office in regards to that cage.

When I first got piggies 10 years ago, I was stupid enough to buy a cage of about that size. :oops: I soon realised it was far too small, and ended up having to get a new one. I kept it as a hospital cage, but decided it was far too small even for that when I came to need it. I put it in the bin eventually, as I didn't want anyone buying it on Ebay, or having it through Freecycle etc. My syrian hamster has a larger cage. ;)

It annoys me so much that this sort of thing is on sale. Partly for the obvious reason that the animals will suffer. But also partly because well-meaning people will buy them thinking that a pet shop is knowledgeable about what they sell, and therefore wouldn't sell anything unsuitable, then making it an expensive mistake.

It just makes me mad that pet shops are allowed to sell cages that are far too small :(
I guess if it's being sold in the shop people will assume it's fine for their animal.

It's like the zoo zone cage though, it is advertised as an indoor home for rabbits and guinea pigs but the measurements are only 72 x 46 x 32 cm. My rabbit carrier is as big as that!
I use the zoo zone for my dwarf hamsters and it still looks too small, there are only 2 of them in there, I cant imagine how a poor bunny would cope being crammed in there :cry:

Just popped into Pets @ home to look. I never buy from there. Just inside the door was a huge stack of 80cm Guinea pig cages for £40. Please be awear that they are far too small for Guinea pigs. Evan for 1 living on there own.

I do have one, as I went to compleate a rehome and the person had brought this cage. I swapped it for one of my larger cages. I now only use it as my over night hospital cage. I brought big uncle Bertie back from the brink 2 nights ago. He was in the cage overnight and no more. But he really didn't feel like running around.

Being a rescue myself, I've put in on my front page I don't rehome into this size. Please pass this information onto any other Guinea pig rescues you know, and or rabbit rescues / owners.

I wonder how P@H would seek to justify this in the context of their claims about:
  • Staff "training/knowledge/experience".
  • Claims to be a "Responsible Retailer".
  • Claims that "They Put Pets First".

Or maybe they'll just concentrate on "box-shifting products"? :roll:

Sorry to be rather blunt but has anyone actually bothered contacting P@H about this rather than simply moaning about it? The only way to make change is to hound P@H about it! It's all very well moaning about it here but I'd like to think all of us here would never put a pig (or a rabbit for that matter) in such a hutch, even newbies to the forum would soon get the idea!

Target audience ideally needs to be the people who don't get access to such forums, so P@H need to be informed about exactly why it isn't suitable. :)

I cannot actually see this one. The small one looks as though it is 124cm, which is not good admittedly, but is not 80cm!

They just got one of these from me:

Dear Sirs

I have just been made aware of your product "Cavie 80 guinea pig cage". I am, frankly, horrified that a store that claims to have the best interests of animals as a priority is selling what is clearly an extremely inadequate cage as being appropriate for a guinea pig.

Since guinea pigs are sociable animals and it is widely acknowledged that they are considerably happier kept in at least pairs, this suggsts that you are selling this cage as suitable for a pair of guinea pigs. Alternatively, are you recommending that pet owners keep solitary animals?

I would urge you to reconsider the sale of this grossly inadequate product.

Yours faithfully
Laura Williamson

They just got one of these from me:

Dear Sirs

I have just been made aware of your product "Cavie 80 guinea pig cage". I am, frankly, horrified that a store that claims to have the best interests of animals as a priority is selling what is clearly an extremely inaccurate cage as being appropriate for a guinea pig.

Since guinea pigs are sociable animals and it is widely acknowledged that they are considerably happier kept in at least pairs, this suggsts that you are selling this cage as suitable for a pair of guinea pigs. Alternatively, are you recomending that pet owners keep solitary animals?

I would urge you to reconsider the sale of this grossly inadequate product.

Yours faithfully
Laura Williamson

:love:

Thanks guys for the input. As I run a rescue things like letters to compainies are slower coming from me. Sorry. It wasn't meant to be a moaning thread, it was to make everyone awear of it. (other resuces to there new adoptors)

Thanks to Biscuits mum I will be copy this and sending to them. Can everyone pleadge to copy and send?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/cavi...cm_re=barilliance-_-up sell-_-product details

its says suitable for 2 "juvenile" GPs, but do they really think people will buy a bigger one once they've grown!? :roll::roll::roll::roll:

I wonder who at P@H decides that it's "suitable"? :shock:

Their Head of Pets is a fully-qualified vet. I wonder if she has confirmed that it's "suitable"? :roll:

Maybe the Sales & Marketing Department have confirmed that it's "suitable" because the P@H stores can shift the product at that price?

Back