• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amputations?

PixieRabbit

Mama Doe
Hi, we have a bunny who is currently at a foster home. Somehow she managed to dislocate her hip whilst playing in her foster mom's garden.

They have operated on her, yet it keep's coming loose and she's going to need the leg amputated. It's one of her back legs, I don't want to say the right or the left as I'm not sure which one it is :oops:

The foster mom has been taking her to her vets for connivance and moved her indoors.

Has anyone had this problem before? I just hope she'll still find an experienced home after her amputation. How do rabbits cope without the use of one of their back legs? She is bonded with her daughter; however they've been kept in separate cages but able to see/smell each other.

Thanks.

Hi, we have a bunny who is currently at a foster home. Somehow she managed to dislocate her hip whilst playing in her foster mom's garden.

They have operated on her, yet it keep's coming loose and she's going to need the leg amputated. It's one of her back legs, I don't want to say the right or the left as I'm not sure which one it is :oops:

The foster mom has been taking her to her vets for connivance and moved her indoors.

Has anyone had this problem before? I just hope she'll still find an experienced home after her amputation. How do rabbits cope without the use of one of their back legs? She is bonded with her daughter; however they've been kept in separate cages but able to see/smell each other.

Thanks.

Poor bun :(
I've heard that amputee buns do adapt & can manage well... I believe several RU memebrs have previous experience ... & I'm sure someone will be along to offer advice :)

I have a hind leg amputee Bun, Harry. He sustained a nasty compound fracture during a manic binky session :cry:

I watched Harry's op, it took almost an hour but he was fine under GA and he recovered very quickly. Now he is faster on his three legs than most of my four legged Rabbits. He can jump up on to things, binky and generally tear about like a loon :lol: The only thing I have to do is keep a check on his left ear (his left hind leg is the one that is missing). Rabbits with a missing hind leg often get a gunky ear. I also make sure he is housed on a soft non abrasive surface to minimise wear and tear on the hock of his remaining hind leg.

I have a hind leg amputee Bun, Harry. He sustained a nasty compound fracture during a manic binky session :cry:

I watched Harry's op, it took almost an hour but he was fine under GA and he recovered very quickly. Now he is faster on his three legs than most of my four legged Rabbits. He can jump up on to things, binky and generally tear about like a loon :lol: The only thing I have to do is keep a check on his left ear (his left hind leg is the one that is missing). Rabbits with a missing hind leg often get a gunky ear. I also make sure he is housed on a soft non abrasive surface to minimise wear and tear on the hock of his remaining hind leg.

Thank you for the advice. I will ensure she goes to an indoor home where there is carpets/rugs. I'm happy that Harry's life is so well despite the loss of his leg and hope Sally is the same. I will also inform her foster mom, and whoever adopts her about checking her ear daily. x

We have had several amputee rabbits here, most have had no problems adjusting or any further health problems. However Elwood found it hard to balance and his back end would rub on the carpet at times. This led to the development of scar tissue forming which spread into his urinary system and stopped hi form being able to empty his bladder :(

Just something to be aware of, although as I say most are fine :)

Back