• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it worth getting insurance?

Hi, ive just posted this on the general chat page, i still havnt got used to this yet:oops:
I just wondered after reading a thread about the massive cost of vet bills:shock:, is it worth having insurance and if so which company is best?

Hi, ive just posted this on the general chat page, i still havnt got used to this yet:oops:
I just wondered after reading a thread about the massive cost of vet bills:shock:, is it worth having insurance and if so which company is best?

mine arent insured but If i was to insure them then I would use petplan :)

is the insurance for rabbits?

think pet plan is probably best. i've only ever got a quote from them so i myself am unsre whether to take insurance out or not.

not sure if there are any other companies that do insurance for rabbits.

yes it is for rabbits, 2 of them. I did get a quote from petplan £16 just wondered if any other companies anyone knows as i cant find many.

petplan and helpucover are the only companies I know of that do "for life" cover, which is what you want if you go for insurance. It means illnesses will be covered for as long as you continue to renew your policy, as opposed to being exempt when you renew.

most people are better off paying bills as and when they come than getting insurance - otherwise it wouldn't be worth offering for the insurance companies.
However, the people who would be better off with insurance are often better off by literally thousands of pounds.

Bear in mind there is still an excess with insurance companies and they will not cover dentals which are one of the more common problems with rabbits.

It costs me £48 a month to insure 6 buns with petplan. It was God send when one of my pairs broke down and the vet bill was over £500 because it was a bank holiday sunday, because Lilou bit Toby and caught his eye. It was £120 out of hours call out before they even did anything! I know some people do something like have a credit card set aside. How ever you do it you need to have a way to pay emergency vet fees.

a couple of weeks after xmas one sunday morning gracie appeared off colour, not eating not moving and just fidgeting and grinding her teeth soooo....rang the emergency vet, £120 just for the appointment on a sunday, then £30 for pain killer and gut stimulant.

the vet told us if we had insurance we would have probs just had an excess of £50 to pay so, the next day arranged cover for both of them from petplan for £16 a month. wouldnt you know it later that day gracie was almost normal again and the next day she was completley back to herself!!!

little sod! but, couldnt put a price on her wellbeing so it's worth having it i think.

Defiantly get insurance. Especially if your bun has health problems. I found this out the hard way when Pie had numerous bouts of stasis :(

Sometimes vets can offer insurance (well mine does as it's a large chain of 6 practices and 1 huge animals hospital in the area).
Although small buns can rack up one huge vet bill though can't they!? :roll:

If you can't afford £2k in vet bills you need insurance. Petplan are the best :)

I would agree with this. I tend to take buns that have health issues before they come to me and who are old which sends insurance through the roof or even makes them uninsurable. We both have decent jobs and would have 2k haging around should we need it so we have never bothered with it. If I was going to have young rabbits that were in good health and I was uncertain about my financial situation I would definitely get them insured.

Back