• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Patrick's Cecum............. *sigh*

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Last year Patrick had a severe cecal impaction. It took a good 2 weeks of ongoing 24/7 treatment to get him through it. Since then I have been mega careful with his diet so I just dont understand why today he has become ill again.
His cecum is impacted, although not nearly as badly as last time. But WHY has it happened again now :cry:

He is back on all the appropriate meds.

Dare we ask for some vibes please................

:cry:

Last edited:
Loads of vibes for Patric Jane. Yes, I remember well.
We've found that Domperidone was better for Thumper's sluggish caecum when Zantac ceased to work. Trouble is that it hasn't been used much for buns except by FHB.

Loads of vibes for Patric Jane. Yes, I remember well.
We've found that Domperidone was better for Thumper's sluggish caecum when Zantac ceased to work. Trouble is that it hasn't been used much for buns except by FHB.

Hi Judy

I have Domperidone to move on to if necessary, Ranitidine worked last time though.

I fear that Patrick may have a similar problem to Thumper, although this has not been confirmed as yet. This is the second cecal impaction he has had. It's not quite as bad as the last one, but bad enough. There is clearly something amiss in the cecum department :cry:

ATM he is on aggressive fluid therapy, Lactulose, Ranitidine, Metoclopromide and Metacam. This has been ongoing 24/7 for the last 3 days and nights.
The impaction has reduced in size and today it is soft enough for me to start to break it down. Patrick is picking at food and I am also syringe feeding him a slurry of pellets.

I'm so sorry to read this about Patrick :cry:
Sending every vibe we have for him...
Will be thinking of you both xx

Hi Judy

I have Domperidone to move on to if necessary, Ranitidine worked last time though.

I fear that Patrick may have a similar problem to Thumper, although this has not been confirmed as yet. This is the second cecal impaction he has had. It's not quite as bad as the last one, but bad enough. There is clearly something amiss in the cecum department :cry:

ATM he is on aggressive fluid therapy, Lactulose, Ranitidine, Metoclopromide and Metacam. This has been ongoing 24/7 for the last 3 days and nights.
The impaction has reduced in size and today it is soft enough for me to start to break it down. Patrick is picking at food and I am also syringe feeding him a slurry of pellets.

Oh Jane, I'm so very sorry because it's such a battle for everyone.

The diagnosis was reached very quickly in Thumper's case with an ultrasound which allows direct visualisation of caecal motility over a period of time. No GA was needed.

There has been a major struggle against dysbiosis & neurotoxin production. To be effective Sloe leaves can only be collected for about 6 weeks of the year. (Blackberry/raspberry leaves make a good substitute) However the real break through came by adding short courses of biolapis.

I find that maintaining fluid intake is a major issue during periods of gut hypomotility. As Thumper increases his fiber intake to keep his gut moving it's as if he can't get enough throughput to "fill up" with water as well. I've noticed that a few other buns also do this. I wonder whether it's a factor with Patrick?

Oh Jane, I'm so very sorry because it's such a battle for everyone.

The diagnosis was reached very quickly in Thumper's case with an ultrasound which allows direct visualisation of caecal motility over a period of time. No GA was needed.

There has been a major struggle against dysbiosis & neurotoxin production. To be effective Sloe leaves can only be collected for about 6 weeks of the year. (Blackberry/raspberry leaves make a good substitute) However the real break through came by adding short courses of biolapis.

I find that maintaining fluid intake is a major issue during periods of gut hypomotility. As Thumper increases his fiber intake to keep his gut moving it's as if he can't get enough throughput to "fill up" with water as well. I've noticed that a few other buns also do this. I wonder whether it's a factor with Patrick?

Yes, he certainly craves fibre and drinks very little when impacted. He wont even touch veg at the moment. It is a huge worry :cry:

(((( Big Hugs)))) & vibes for lots of stamina for you too.

Thumper's got through 6 month's supply of Sloe leaves in 4 months. We've had some real rough patches. I can't part with any more cos he needs them on a daily basis now.:cry:

Back