PDA

View Full Version : 43 for zithromax!!! :o(

ripminnie
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Oh my god, I've just rung the vets to see if Olly's zithromax has arrived, and was pleased to hear that it has... I was less pleased to hear that it's going to cost me 43!!! If only I'd insured my buns as soon as I got them :( He's worth every penny but he's going to bankrupt me! :? I wish there was an NHS for pets so we just have to pay a prescription fee!

Mackers
02-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I'd have a look to see if it's any cheaper elsewhere and then get your vet to give you a prescription.

GrahamL
02-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Oh my god, I've just rung the vets to see if Olly's zithromax has arrived, and was pleased to hear that it has... I was less pleased to hear that it's going to cost me 43!!! If only I'd insured my buns as soon as I got them :( He's worth every penny but he's going to bankrupt me! :? I wish there was an NHS for pets so we just have to pay a prescription fee!

Oh Jeez.

Thats Ginger's next abx if the depocillin doesn't clear up her pasteurella :shock:

Sky-O
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
That's... expensive. I pay 17 per little bottle which last about three and a half weeks. That sounds like a massive profit for your vets to be honest. I would agree about getting a prescription and seeing about getting it elsewhere.

ripminnie
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
That's... expensive. I pay 17 per little bottle which last about three and a half weeks. That sounds like a massive profit for your vets to be honest. I would agree about getting a prescription and seeing about getting it elsewhere.

They've already got it in especially now :( so I'll have to pay for it this time :( but I'll remember that for the future! :? I work in a chemist aswell which makes it even more annoying, as our computer says it's 11 trade price :(

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I remember paying more than that a couple of years ago :wave:

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I pay 17.06 for the powder to make up 15ml of solution.

You deffo need to look out for a cheaper way of buying because Zithromax has a very short shelf-life once it's been mixed with water (says 5 days on the packaging, but I sometimes manage to get 7 days out of it)...so it's gonna work out v. expensive if you need a long course

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
We had a bottle of liquid, I have never used a powder. I think I tried to find it online in the past and had real problems finding anything other than tablets :?

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:03 PM
We had a bottle of liquid, I have never used a powder. I think I tried to find it online in the past and had real problems finding anything other than tablets :?

I think your vet will have received it as powder and probably mixed it up for you. You add 9mls of water to the powder to make 15mls of solution.

I prefer to mix it myself because it goes off v. quickly once mixed, but lasts for a year or more as powder.

alio71
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
It costs me 21 from the vets, that's so expensive I would query they are quoting the right price! As the others say it only lasts 5 days when mixed.

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 05:07 PM
I think your vet will have received it as powder and probably mixed it up for you. You add 9mls of water to the powder to make 15mls of solution.

I prefer to mix it myself because it goes off v. quickly once mixed, but lasts for a year or more as powder.

I don't know, it had a proper label on it as if it was from a manufacturer. i think it lasted for about 6 weeks :?

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I don't know, it had a proper label on it as if it was from a manufacturer. i think it lasted for about 6 weeks :?

Can you try to find it on-line? It would be really useful for those of us using the 5 days version.

Sky-O
02-02-2011, 05:09 PM
i'm a bit concerned now. Badger has his bottle for three and a half weeks.

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
i'm a bit concerned now. Badger has his bottle for three and a half weeks.

What does it say on the box/info sheet?

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Can you try to find it on-line? It would be really useful for those of us using the 5 days version.

No I can't :( It was several years ago when we first had it and when we had to use it again I searched every where online for it to try to save money and could only find tablets :?

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Just checked my old thread and it cost 40 for a 30ml bottle in 2009 :wave:

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Found some info on Zithromax (oral solution, tablets and IV injectable):

http://www.medical-explorer.com/drugs-z/zithromax_1.html

Details on shelf life are on page 5

Sky-O
02-02-2011, 05:24 PM
What does it say on the box/info sheet?

Any remaining solution should be discarded after 5 days

:( That's not good.

Why would a vet put him on that, long term, knowing that?

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
:( That's not good.

Why would a vet put him on that, long term, knowing that?

I had Dominic on it long term because it was the only rabbit-safe abx that seemed to work for him....it did work out v. costly though!

Sky-O
02-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I had Dominic on it long term because it was the only rabbit-safe abx that seemed to work for him....it did work out v. costly though!

I think I need to call my vets. He has a bottle for about 25 days which is way over what the box says. I never noticed that before.

abbymarysmokey
02-02-2011, 05:29 PM
I think I need to call my vets. He has a bottle for about 25 days which is way over what the box says. I never noticed that before.

To look on the bright side...it might still be effective long after the 5 days. I know lots of meds are apparently still effective as long as 2 years after the expiry date.

Hugo's There
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Thats strange, I had to keep the bottle below 5 degrees in the fridge and that only mentions under 30 degrees and I distinctly remember it saying on the bottle to be used for upto 4 weeks only and do not keep for more than 2 weeks after the end of the course :?

Sky-O
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
To look on the bright side...it might still be effective long after the 5 days. I know lots of meds are apparently still effective as long as 2 years after the expiry date.

Infection wise he is in good shape, so hopefully that's the case :) phoned the vets and the smart receptionist said about not mixing it up all at once, just mix up a small bit at a time. So if I mix up quarters, for example, then that will be fine :D

Phew! Was starting to panic that I'd really stuffed up and also wouldn't be able to use it anymore (can't afford 17 every 5 days).