• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

£43 for zithromax!!! :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Oh my god, I've just rung the vets to see if Olly's zithromax has arrived, and was pleased to hear that it has... I was less pleased to hear that it's going to cost me £43!!! If only I'd insured my buns as soon as I got them :( He's worth every penny but he's going to bankrupt me! :? I wish there was an NHS for pets so we just have to pay a prescription fee!

I'd have a look to see if it's any cheaper elsewhere and then get your vet to give you a prescription.

Oh my god, I've just rung the vets to see if Olly's zithromax has arrived, and was pleased to hear that it has... I was less pleased to hear that it's going to cost me £43!!! If only I'd insured my buns as soon as I got them :( He's worth every penny but he's going to bankrupt me! :? I wish there was an NHS for pets so we just have to pay a prescription fee!

Oh Jeez.

Thats Ginger's next abx if the depocillin doesn't clear up her pasteurella :shock:

That's... expensive. I pay £17 per little bottle which last about three and a half weeks. That sounds like a massive profit for your vets to be honest. I would agree about getting a prescription and seeing about getting it elsewhere.

That's... expensive. I pay £17 per little bottle which last about three and a half weeks. That sounds like a massive profit for your vets to be honest. I would agree about getting a prescription and seeing about getting it elsewhere.

They've already got it in especially now :( so I'll have to pay for it this time :( but I'll remember that for the future! :? I work in a chemist aswell which makes it even more annoying, as our computer says it's £11 trade price :(

I pay £17.06 for the powder to make up 15ml of solution.

You deffo need to look out for a cheaper way of buying because Zithromax has a very short shelf-life once it's been mixed with water (says 5 days on the packaging, but I sometimes manage to get 7 days out of it)...so it's gonna work out v. expensive if you need a long course

We had a bottle of liquid, I have never used a powder. I think I tried to find it online in the past and had real problems finding anything other than tablets :?

We had a bottle of liquid, I have never used a powder. I think I tried to find it online in the past and had real problems finding anything other than tablets :?

I think your vet will have received it as powder and probably mixed it up for you. You add 9mls of water to the powder to make 15mls of solution.

I prefer to mix it myself because it goes off v. quickly once mixed, but lasts for a year or more as powder.

It costs me £21 from the vets, that's so expensive I would query they are quoting the right price! As the others say it only lasts 5 days when mixed.

I think your vet will have received it as powder and probably mixed it up for you. You add 9mls of water to the powder to make 15mls of solution.

I prefer to mix it myself because it goes off v. quickly once mixed, but lasts for a year or more as powder.

I don't know, it had a proper label on it as if it was from a manufacturer. i think it lasted for about 6 weeks :?

Can you try to find it on-line? It would be really useful for those of us using the 5 days version.

No I can't :( It was several years ago when we first had it and when we had to use it again I searched every where online for it to try to save money and could only find tablets :?

I had Dominic on it long term because it was the only rabbit-safe abx that seemed to work for him....it did work out v. costly though!

I think I need to call my vets. He has a bottle for about 25 days which is way over what the box says. I never noticed that before.

Back