• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rectal valium for long/cluster fits

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Has anybody had any experience of trying to administer this?

our vet said ah well its the same as taking their temperature. Hmm i have never taken a rectal tempertaure reading in anything:shock::lol:

oh i just presumed with everything else you had....now that means i have had too many buns with too many health conditions:oops:

bertie had a two in one fit the other week..but sunday he was laying in his litter tray having a wash lying on his side and suddenly had a full blown seizure..yet again.:( he had a fairly short one in comparison to the others hes had. But coming out of it he was sitting up trying to wash his chest furiously for ages..except he was nowhere near his actual chest...:(

within half an hour though he was asking for nose rubs and ate his dinner.

we have started yet another course of panacur....for 28 days.

vet says it could even be abscesses in his brain or lesions caused by the pasturella....or EC...etc.
Hes been given MORE baytril.....and this time hes got tiacil eye drops.

Our vet says best to have the option of the valium in case he gets bad and i cant get to a very close vets.

hmm put him on the table..lift his bum up from behind..use some of the gel as a lubricant then gently insert........i really dont think i could..but i guess if the worst happens...adrenaline kicks in ..i could do it..i hope!

We had a bun ..mr jingles ..who had seizures and we had rectal valium in case of emergency ..

he was at Traceys though (mopsmum ) ans cant remember if we actualy had to use it .. dont think we did . :?

Awww poor little mite :( And poor you, that really is a daunting prospect, they have such tiny little bums :shock::oops:
Im sure if and when it comes down to it you will be fine. Just remember he wont beable to feel it when hes having a seizure, so thats something atleast!
Poor guy, I really hope you can get to the bottom of his fits, I can only imagine how auwful it must be for you to watch :cry:
Loads of vibes xxx

Have you tried having him on continuous Panacur? It is working for our Blackberry who has EC linked seizures - if we stop the Panacur he starts having seizures again within a week.

Sometimes he also can have several in a day.

But on continuous Panacur he is fine - no seizures -and so far no side effects -

Personally I would never try and insert anything in a rabbits bum - especially not one that is having a seizure.

PS we are doing it with vets permission and in full knowledge that this is not recommended - but its that or PTS as his seizures exhaust him otherwise and nothing else works.

We have a rectal diazapam for Corrie our collie, thankfully I've not had to use it yet. I have had to give Jimmy an enema because of his constipation problems, it was usually easy, except when he was very blocked up. I guess it depends on if the anal sphincter is relaxed, which guess it would be during a fit.

I've never taken my buns' temperature either but when the vet has none of them have seemed particularly bothered so I don't think it hurts them. I always hold their front end and talk to them and give them nose rubs to distract them a bit. I've found my buns are much, much more relaxed when the vet lets me hold them rather than insisting the vet nurse does it.

If you are stuck Debbie and I am not at my night job I would be happy to come over and give you a hand with the Cuddle Monster. I've never seen an animal having a seizure but have given First Aid to a stranger on the street who had one (although I hasten to add I didn't stick anything up his bottom:oops:).

little bottom? :shock: no hes a frenchie...big but small bottom!!

wow we hadnt long finished his last course of panacur before the double fit:shock::? wonder if theres a similar problem then with bertie?

yes id only be too glad to swap bunny seizures and treatment/help.

i am epileptic..no known cause either.......never had a ct scan...do you think i can go in berties place?:lol:

seriously tho saski was doubtful the bloods would show anything mindblowingly obvious but maybe a mix of small changes might be something.

ah but jane you take your rabbits temps dont you? how much harder is it to use the valium?

yes i will vouch all muscles when fit is ending relax....bladder or bowel or both for some folks:( i lost bladder control only once in all my years of fits:oops:

karen hun give me till the results come back.....and hes recovered from the stress of the vets and bloods........hes done soft stress poops today:(

theres a type of nerve response that can mimic a fit to a point...

but this was like a human tonic clonic/grand mal seizure..his eyes roll back..hes thrashing around even bends backwards..i was scared hed break his back! then he goes still and staggers to his feet and sits down then carries on looking like hes washing when hes not even in contact with his body:( eventually he stops and sleeps for a while.

Have you tried having him on continuous Panacur? It is working for our Blackberry who has EC linked seizures - if we stop the Panacur he starts having seizures again within a week.

Sometimes he also can have several in a day.

But on continuous Panacur he is fine - no seizures -and so far no side effects -

Personally I would never try and insert anything in a rabbits bum - especially not one that is having a seizure.

PS we are doing it with vets permission and in full knowledge that this is not recommended - but its that or PTS as his seizures exhaust him otherwise and nothing else works.

This is what our vet says, it is really dangerous trying to put anything into a fitting bunny :(

This is what our vet says, it is really dangerous trying to put anything into a fitting bunny :(

Sometimes it is an essential lifesaver !! Obviously only when the Vet prescribing the treatment is happy for you to do it :) Thankfully mine was otherwise the effected Rabbits would most likely have died :cry:

Maybe it was because she was a tiny nethie :? The way she was thrashing around I don't think anyone would have been successful with rectal valium :(

Maybe it was because she was a tiny nethie :? The way she was thrashing around I don't think anyone would have been successful with rectal valium :(

I think it would very much be a decision made (by the Vet) on the individual Bun and how their seizures manifest themselves. It just would not be possible to administer anything if the Bun is thrashing about. Mine were more continuous muscle jerks and nystagmus.

Fits are horrible to witness :cry:

but this was like a human tonic clonic/grand mal seizure..his eyes roll back..hes thrashing around even bends backwards..i was scared hed break his back! then he goes still and staggers to his feet and sits down then carries on looking like hes washing when hes not even in contact with his body:( eventually he stops and sleeps for a while.[/QUOTE]

Yes thats how it is with Blackberry -

First he thumps (twice), then he goes semi rigid with front paws stretched out and head bizarely twisted up and back/round, he grinds his teeth really really loud (worried about tongue biting/swallowing at this phase), then rolls his eyes, he thrashes around and in a really bad fit crashes into things if not held, then goes all limp, then looks stunned for a while . . and gradually recovers over an hour or so.

This is why we have decided that long term Panacur is better than the fits. . . and it seems to work for him.

Last edited:
I think it would very much be a decision made (by the Vet) on the individual Bun and how their seizures manifest themselves. It just would not be possible to administer anything if the Bun is thrashing about. Mine were more continuous muscle jerks and nystagmus.

Fits are horrible to witness :cry:

Yes hers were the worst I have ever seen which is why i asked about every treatment. Her head twisted round and she bit through her own back :( In the end we decided it was kinder to pts due to the cause of the fits :cry:

All the other fitting bunnies we have, come out of them pretty well on their own :)

Back