• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Left Pumpkin at the Vets Hospital

Thankfully his face was slightly less swollen and the eyedrops seem to have eased the pain and discomfort this morning. He could open his eye for shorty periods of time but he was not impressed at being taken back and handed over to the vet' nurse this morning.

He is not in for much of a fun day either as they plan to investigate and treat where possible for skull abnormalities, abcesses, tear duct problems and teeth as his face was so bad yesterday.
Thankfully he will be off with the fairies for the whole thing but I know it could knock him for six. Need to have more of an indea of what is happening around his jaw and skull so we can plan how to treat or manage this for him. Oh and he is having a dental done on his slightly maloccluded spurs on his back teeth whilst he is out to check on his eye.

Left him with a bag of Timothy hay, dried herbs, some basil,broccalli and savoy outer leaves to persuede him to get eating asap. The vet does over good farm hay and ss/burgess pellets but Pumpkin has got seriously fond of Timothy hay and herbs. They know he is on an almost pure hay/herbage diet.

Hoping this is not pointing towards a hidden tooth abcess that is pressing into his eye socket for his sake. :(

Not sure what his outlook will be if it is a hidden abcessed eye socket. Vet will call me later as things go on to let me know and ask for verbal permission for any extras he might need.

This feels horrible- he was doing so well and had just settled in. I miss him headbutting the office door to let me know he has worked out where I am hiding.

Teasel is missing him already even though they are not bonded, they are friendly and like to see each other, so she is battering her jingle ball across the bars to let me know she is unimpressed her boy eye candy has gone out and left her behind.

Sending lots of vibes for Pumpkin. I hope the vets can get to the bottom of it, and it's something easily treatable xx

Pumpkin is looking brighter today.

Some of the swelling has gone down so he looks more like a rabbit again. He is able to open his left eye for longer periods and it does not seem to be causing as much pain and discomfort. He is begging for food so the sedatives and GA have finally worn off.

Its taking a bit of getting used to the idea he never had a drainage tear duct in that eye and the soft tissue scarring has left that side blind whilst the right duct has keloided together and will contribute to the right side having similar problems and partial sight. Does mean this will continue to happen over and over again but with good care he should be comfortable and enjoy life.

No wonder it seemed that his sight was so poor when he was moving around and hitting things for all he has an inquisitive nature.

I think I may see if he will learn to tolerate a harness and lead so I can take him for forage walks up the garden as I do not think he will not be able to see possible dangers and I am now planning for the point he looses all his sight so he can have the best life possible.

Back