• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can bunnies get depressed!

cooldarls

Alpha Buck
Hey just wondering if bunnies can get depressed. Budy has been ill for a while with snuffles, it seems to be te same time of year every year, he has been on antibiotics and was told to not let him out in the run unless it was completly covered and had no harsh winds blowing through. Also not to let him out if it was really cold out. He has been in his hutch while i have been out and then coming into the utility room for a run around when i am in.

He is normally a happy bunny and is always up at the door of his hutch when i go and get him or se him but the last two days he has stayed in his bed and wasnt interested in me. He will come and get his food and water but nothing to o with me.

Could he be missing my other male bunny Bramble who has the next run to his. They have a good friendship through the wire but i was told not to try and put them together cos of buddy being a snuffly bunny and also being males. They lie together on either side of he fence and stuff. Could buddy be depressed cos he not seeing bramble.

Want him to cheer up cos i want my baby back. not even cuddles are working. so wonder if they do get depressed. Wish the warm weather would come cos he is brilliant through spring, summer, autumnish and horrid in winter :(

I think they do. I wasn't sure until recently. My Jasper stopped going out altogether during and after he was poorly. I'm hoping he will pick back up as the weather gets warmer and he'll out on the garden for longer.

I was thinking it could be loneliness too, especially in the colder weather when they have no one to snuggle up to.

I hope all is better soon. ;)

I hope he cheers up soon. really want to let him out but its just not warm enough and i feel cruel on him. all the other 4 are out playing and he is stuck in. May take him for a walk in the garden for a little bit tomorrow to visit his bunny pals.

Do you know if it is true that if he is a snuffle bunny he cant go with anyother bunnies. Would love to get him a wife as i think he would look happier maybe. he always looks sad but thats just the marking on his face lol

Did the vets give you any advice about when to put him back with his friends?

I'm fortunate enough not to have had that health problem with a bun so I wouldn't like to say. ;)

No he never mentioned it but to be fair i forgot to ask. I may ring him tomorrow. my vet is really good and gets back to me asap. Buddy is not inside. he is in his hutch inside the shed for the winter in a double hutch with the two girls in it. Hopefully making them a mansion hutch lie brambles in the summer so they have the free space to come in and out as they want. obv he will have to stay in the hutch on the cold days then too.

I personally think all animals are able to be depressed yes, sorry haven't read all the thread but, in my experience like us hoomins yes they have feelings and are sensitive enough to experience depression aswell as euphoria.

Thanks I will defo be giving him lots of love and cuddles. cant even get him excited about food. he eats his hay and is pellets but not interested in anything else. my friend told me about a herb product you can get in pets at home, it called a herby harvest or something and she said it has mint in it which he loves so may try him with a little bit of that. she said it smells really strongso might be good as i think it might be he cant smell tasty things so not interested in them, not worried about the eating nice thigs though as he is still eating his hay which is good.

Thanks I will defo be giving him lots of love and cuddles. cant even get him excited about food. he eats his hay and is pellets but not interested in anything else. my friend told me about a herb product you can get in pets at home, it called a herby harvest or something and she said it has mint in it which he loves so may try him with a little bit of that. she said it smells really strongso might be good as i think it might be he cant smell tasty things so not interested in them, not worried about the eating nice thigs though as he is still eating his hay which is good.

Have you tried basil and dill?

buddy doesnt like dill, he is a fussy bunny. will get some basil tomorrow and try him with that. need to start growing my herbs again.

The thing that seemed to get Jasp to perk up a bit was mysteriously parsley, I know it's not bursting with flavour, but yeah go for the herbs.

Speaking of the harvest range at P@H, (Kennelgate do it too), they do a big Parsley Bell that you can hang up. It might encourage him to nibble. Also if you do get some of the dried up leafy bits why not mix them into his pellet food, it encourages them to forage. ;)

hey, i went to the shops today and got some fresh herbs, Buddy loved Basil and also the parsley funny how they go for that. He seems a little better today. put his harness on so he could have a hop around the garden. he picked up really quickly and went straight over to see Bramble. he was happy just sitting next to the run with bramble on the other side. Buddy ate some grass and seemed happy to explore. he was only out 10 minutes didnt want him to get cold.

Thanks for all the advice and support xx

Back