• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Can I Have Some Eating Vibes for Starbuck? U/d Home from vets.

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Earlier on today I noticed something was not quite right with Starbuck. He was pushing his tummy to the ground a lot and adopting funny positions. He also kept flopping on his side and stretching right out, then getting up and turning which direction he was facing every few seconds. He obviously couldnt get comfortable.

I went to get some pellets as it was nearly their teatime, but he showed no interest whatsoever. His little belly seemed to be rising and falling rapidly. I tried to feel his tummy but he'd wriggle off, like it was painful.

Been to vet but she didnt feel anything wrong with his tummy. I've been given Loxicom drops (he's had one on a carrot biscuit) and Critical Care.

But still no interest in food at the moment. Please if you have any vibes spare could you send him some eating vibes? And any advice for me would be great. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you.

His poos are a bit misshapen Jane but otherwise they look healthy enough - not really wet or dark or anything but perhaps a little darker and bigger than normal.

I dont know if vet felt his bladder - she did have a good feel of his underside. I took Muesli (who has kidney problems) with him and one of them had wee'd on the way - to be honest I put that down to Muesli since he does wee anywhere. :oops:

Are you thinking he may have a UTI? There have been a few poos but little or no wees I dont think since getting home (back from vets around 6.30pm). Its hard to know when there are two of them. :oops:

Oh Helen, I am so sorry! You are having your fair share of worries at the moment. I am no expert in this sort of thing, but can you hear any noises coming from him tummy? Just wondering if he might have gas?

Sending lots of get well vibes to Starbuck xx

Thanks Alison! I know it all comes at once doesnt it? My hubby is in hospital too as he had an op yesterday so I am trying to care for bunnies around getting up there for visiting times!! :oops::oops: Half wonder if Starbuck has picked up on him not being here/me being stressed? :oops::(

No I cant hear any noises in his tummy - I was wondering if gas as well but there is no noise that I can hear and the vet said she thought his tummy was nice and relaxed.

Unfortunately my usual bunny-savvy vet wasnt there.

Thanks Alison! I know it all comes at once doesnt it? My hubby is in hospital too as he had an op yesterday so I am trying to care for bunnies around getting up there for visiting times!! :oops::oops: Half wonder if Starbuck has picked up on him not being here/me being stressed? :oops::(

No I cant hear any noises in his tummy - I was wondering if gas as well but there is no noise that I can hear and the vet said she thought his tummy was nice and relaxed.

Unfortunately my usual bunny-savvy vet wasnt there.

Sorry Helen, I didn't realise it was this week Colin was in! Has everything gone ok? Could you use some help? I have a free evening tomorrow if I can be useful xx

Sorry don't have any other idea's for Starbuck though, I am sure someone will be along who can help soon!

Sorry Helen, I didn't realise it was this week Colin was in! Has everything gone ok? Could you use some help? I have a free evening tomorrow if I can be useful xx

Sorry don't have any other idea's for Starbuck though, I am sure someone will be along who can help soon!

Thats ok, I wouldnt expect you to remember, it went well and he is recovering, thanks. I am doing ok, thank you for offering to come over but its difficult in the evenings as its visiting hours until 8pm. Thank you for offering though...maybe we can meet up once he is out or at the weekend? x

Try putting out a veggie buffet for Starbuck, it may entice him to start eating, or try the mushy pellet idea (doesnt work for Jims but may do for your boy?).

Try putting out a veggie buffet for Starbuck, it may entice him to start eating, or try the mushy pellet idea (doesnt work for Jims but may do for your boy?).

Thank you - he's just eaten two small pieces of pear, but turned his nose up at banana and parsley. Why does this always happen as well when the veg cupboard is not so well stocked...all I can offer him is pear, banana, parsley (his fave normally), sweetheart cabbage and brocoli - am trying not to offer the last two in case they make him gassy - is this the right thing?

Thats ok, I wouldnt expect you to remember, it went well and he is recovering, thanks. I am doing ok, thank you for offering to come over but its difficult in the evenings as its visiting hours until 8pm. Thank you for offering though...maybe we can meet up once he is out or at the weekend? x

I understand, but if you change your mind let me know (even if it's bunny sitting if Stabuck isn't any better!). Glad everything went well for Colin, say hi when you see him. We will definitely sort out a date when everything settles down for you! x

I understand, but if you change your mind let me know (even if it's bunny sitting if Stabuck isn't any better!). Glad everything went well for Colin, say hi when you see him. We will definitely sort out a date when everything settles down for you! x

Thank you I appreciate it. Re: the bunny sitting thing - that has just made me think actually, what to do if he is still not right tomorrow - I have to go to work tomorrow :(

And yes, definitely we will sort out a date, that will be lovely x

Poor Starbuck :( I'm sorry to hear he's not well :(

Would you be able to pick a handful of grass for him Helen? I know it's difficult at this time of year, but sometimes with ours the more natural food is the more they've been tempted to eat. Lots & lots of vibes for him.

Also hoping that Colin is doing ok after his op - what a stressful week for you, hope you're bearing up ok :( xxx

Just remembered, I have some fruit baby food in the 1st aid box - would it be worthwhile putting some of that on a plate/syringing it for him? The only thing is if I put it on a plate then I think Muesli would just go and lick it all up?!

Poor Starbuck :( I'm sorry to hear he's not well :(

Would you be able to pick a handful of grass for him Helen? I know it's difficult at this time of year, but sometimes with ours the more natural food is the more they've been tempted to eat. Lots & lots of vibes for him.

Also hoping that Colin is doing ok after his op - what a stressful week for you, hope you're bearing up ok :( xxx

Thanks Denise, I was just wondering that, as when he had it before grass and dandelions helped him. Are dandelions ok at this time of year, considering how cold its been and things? I will go outside now to pick some grass for him x

Earlier on today I noticed something was not quite right with Starbuck. He was pushing his tummy to the ground a lot and adopting funny positions. He also kept flopping on his side and stretching right out, then getting up and turning which direction he was facing every few seconds. He obviously couldnt get comfortable.

I went to get some pellets as it was nearly their teatime, but he showed no interest whatsoever. His little belly seemed to be rising and falling rapidly. I tried to feel his tummy but he'd wriggle off, like it was painful.

Been to vet but she didnt feel anything wrong with his tummy. I've been given Loxicom drops (he's had one on a carrot biscuit) and Critical Care.

But still no interest in food at the moment. Please if you have any vibes spare could you send him some eating vibes? And any advice for me would be great. Thank you.

Hi Helen I had exactly the same thing today so feel your pain however the difference is this, I took Nessie to the vet because she didn't snatch her little bit of nana and was exactly as you say Starbuck is, it got to about 3pm and I whisked her down there, the vet check was as follows, eyes, ears, teeth, listening for ages through his stethoscope on the four sections and could hear movement in the caecal area but, not the gut. He then felt all round her tummy and did her temperature, she had metaclop, metacam (inj) and baytril and within an hour was right as rain - totally back to normal - I actually think it was the brocolli she had last night as Gizmo was gassy the other night after it (from the same bunch washed) and I didn't give the indoor two any just the outdoor -so I'm stopping brocolli with kale from now on. It's the first time (apart from post spey) that this has happened with Ness and I was soooo worried, he was excellent - and it sounds completely different to the course of action your vet has taken - I hope he will be alright (hugs) and mega vibes for you both xx

Back