• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At the end of my tether - Breakthrough!!

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
He just won't eat hay. He has regular teeth checks and there's nothing wrong. Do some bunnies just not like hay? He started nomming it for a while a month or two back, but then stopped again.

I've reduced his pellets and tried every single type of hay imaginable. He won't even eat readigrass, which really disappointed me because he DOES eat grass when he's out in the run.

I'm really worried he's not getting any fibre though, because I reduced his pellets to try and encourage him to eat hay and so he's not getting as much fibre from the pellets... his poops are always smaller and darker than the girls'. This is an even bigger worry recently as he and Cupcake have runny poos and excess ceacals when they eat leafy greens, meaning my three are now on only herbs vegetable-wise... which = even less fibre.

I don't know what to do for the best. The situation is now so complicated that all three of them are on a different diet... and I know no one can help me I just really needed to have a rant, I'm so stressed about it:cry:

Last edited:
Having the same problems with Timmy, although he isn't as bad.

If he's eating grass that will help to make sure he doesn't get dental problems. Does he eat very much grass?

I have one who wont it so I mix readygrass in at least that way he has to have some hay and hopefully his teeth will be OK.

I have one who wont it so I mix readygrass in at least that way he has to have some hay and hopefully his teeth will be OK.

Yeah this is what I tried to do, but he wouldn't even touch the readigrass. I was so disappointed:lol:

How is he kept?

I was going to have my 2 free range, but they werent eating very much hay at all when they were free range 24/7. Now i shut them in their pen on a night so that they can eat hay, it worked for me, i can hear them munching when i go to sleep, and i can hear them munching when i wake up...and if i dont, i cant sleep! :lol:

Have you tried some samples off the hay experts?

He just won't eat hay. He has regular teeth checks and there's nothing wrong. Do some bunnies just not like hay? He started nomming it for a while a month or two back, but then stopped again.:

have you tried maybe a hay that has alot of dandilions and things in, i know burges excel do one.. snow isn't a hudge hay eater either, and what ive found works it taking good quality hay, and mixing it with herbal mix (herbal heaven from woodlands' works, snow seemed to wooof it down. and then gradually stop putting in as much herabl mix, then non at all?:)

have you tried maybe a hay that has alot of dandilions and things in, i know burges excel do one.. snow isn't a hudge hay eater either, and what ive found works it taking good quality hay, and mixing it with herbal mix (herbal heaven from woodlands' works, snow seemed to wooof it down. and then gradually stop putting in as much herabl mix, then non at all?:)

:thumb: or you could buy dried herbs and mix them in with your regular hay :)

Im just trying to think as i know buying hay can get expensive when you have a fussy bunny. What is your hay like? Can you possible find some nice green hay?

He just won't eat hay. He has regular teeth checks and there's nothing wrong. Do some bunnies just not like hay?

Maud & Malc dont!

Colin and Cilla eat tons, but M&M just wont touch any sort!

I've (like you) tried all different sorts, and stuffed loo rolls/boxes, added treats, but nope! They just wont touch it!

They are now 4 and 5 years old so they've been ok ...so far :?

tiger lily, that's a really good idea, but my parents would flip. Unfortunately they don't understand anything to do with my bunnies:(

RampantRabbits, he has run access during the day, and then is shut in his 5x3 hutch at night because of rats. I've ordered him samples from the hay experts on several occasions and he didn't take to any of them:( In reply to your other question, I get my hay shipped from America (or from the hay experts occasionally) as I find it's much greener than here, and the only places that sell bales near me... well the hay is awful quality and I wouldn't put it anywhere near the buns. The herb idea is a good one, I'll try maybe mixing his pellets and herbs in with some hay tomorrow.

furryfurryfriends, hey Charlotte:wave: That's a good idea, except Benji doesn't like dandelion either:roll: I could try it though, at least i can give it to the girls if he doesn't like it, so it doesn't get wasted:)

Lops, I'm glad it's not justtttt me that struggles:lol:

furryfurryfriends, hey Charlotte:wave: That's a good idea, except Benji doesn't like dandelion either:roll: I could try it though, at least i can give it to the girls if he doesn't like it, so it doesn't get wasted:)

heyaa ha :D, ohh erm maybe just try the herb mix, with some hay see how that goes:) and yeh if not im sure nahla and cupcake wont mind a treat!x

heyaa ha :D, ohh erm maybe just try the herb mix, with some hay see how that goes:) and yeh if not im sure nahla and cupcake wont mind a treat!x

I ordered some stuff online earlier, what a pain haha. Ahh well, I'll try some of the ideas suggested tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Just went out to say a final goodnight to them and cover up the hutches, and Benji groomed me bless him. He's so perfect, I just don't want him to end up with dental problems:(

I feel like it's my fault though. I already blame myself for him not being able to be neutered and having to be a single bunny.. gah. Hopefully I'll feel better in the monring.

Update

Went out to feed the buns early this morning, at about 7. Topped up the girls' hay, and gave them a handful of Readigrass each. (No pellets or herbs, they get those at night)

Benji was begging for pellets, but I decided to be strict. I gave him half a seedless grape and then came inside. He looked very confused:lol: I felt really bad but I had a plan;)

Went back out at about 11, topped up the girls' hay again (they eat fast! four bowls, two litter trays and two hay racks were virtually empty after just 4 hours:shock:) and then gave Benji a small bowl of Readigrass.

He sniffed it. I waited.

AND THEN...

He ate it!:shock: It's all gone!

You can't quite comprehend how happy I am with this breakthrough.:D

Thats great news :D although be careful you dont end up feeding him a lot of redigrass as it is high in calcium

Just a few questions: How many pellets is he now getting? Only ask as Im wondering if it is still too many? Also how much veg?

Hope you dont mind me asking but why cant he be neutered? A friend that eats hay might encourage him to start (as well as all the other benefits)

Thats great news :D although be careful you dont end up feeding him a lot of redigrass as it is high in calcium

Just a few questions: How many pellets is he now getting? Only ask as Im wondering if it is still too many? Also how much veg?

Hope you dont mind me asking but why cant he be neutered? A friend that eats hay might encourage him to start (as well as all the other benefits)

Yeah I know about the calcium, I'm just thinking that if he's suddenly decided he likes it, I may be able to sprinkle little bits into my normal hay and see if it tempts him:)

He gets 10 pellets a day (I count them:oops:) and they're excel, so pretty small:lol: They each get a handful of herbs in the evening along with their pellet rations, and the herbs are normally things like coriander, parsley, mint etc. It varies:)

He can't be neutered currently because when under stress he has severe breathing problems, where he mouth breathes etc. It's awful:(

Have you tried orchard grass? My bunnies love it, i get it from the Hay Experts. Glad to hear your bunny ate the readigrass :)

Back