• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is the runaround stuff fox proof

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
What stops a fox from just lifting up the runaround tunnels as they are made of mesh I imagine they are quite light and easy to push over or lift up, can they be placed on concrete or do they have to be pinned down on grass? If on grass can the buns dig out or foxes dig in?

I've only ever seen pics of it but I wouldn't have thought you could leave buns unsupervised in it :? Unless it was just one of their 'burrowing pipes' being used to connect two things up together :)

The runaround setup at the show this weekend was made from very substantial mesh. However, the 'tunnel' sections were open bottomed and relatively small diameter (just big enough for an average rabbit to comfortably fit through).

I would not leave a rabbit in them unsupervised. Rabbits would be able to dig out if placed on soil. They would also be very susceptible to fox / dog / cat attack either via claws through the mesh, or upturning the run section.

You can use 'pins' to fix them into the soil. You can even use 'pins' to fix the black tunnels into the soil to make them safe. :)

From the pics M&T posted they do look to be very heavy mesh too - not like typical 'aviary' mesh. People use 'runs' attached to hutches as permanent accommodation all the time - I don't really see the difference tbh if you're sensible??

I plan to use one as part of my set-up but I will set it up so I can block it off from their set-up when I want to. I also prefer the black tunnels to the mesh tunnles because of the digging thing. But you could put mesh on the floor with turf over the top and put the tunnels on that if you prefer. I will be using a 'normal' run though not one of the 'boxes' and it will be secured. :p

Thank you for your answers everybody. The majority of my garden is slabbed so it would be difficult to pin the tunnels down, and there are foxes in the area.

Back