• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbs?

VickyC83

Mama Doe
What herbs do you feed your buns, and how do you feed the,? Eg as a treat, mixied in with food or chopped? :)

i think many will differ on this but i personally mix herbs with other plants so they get a variety of 5-6 species at each mealtime
mine are not fed as a treat but as part of their varied diet so daily

Mine munch on them when I give them some free range time in the whole garden, but they have completely munched them now so I will have to replace. Their fav is parsley so I sometimes buy a small pack from the supermarket (since mine has all been munched!!) and give it to them as a treat!
Apparently lavender is a favourite for some, mine won't touch it though!

I feed a variety of hay and mix all kinds of dried herbs with this, I also feed a variety of fresh herbs, basil, dill, mint, parsley, coriander.

Beano and Gordon get herbs as part of their tea sometimes, they like parsley most and basil :)

Mine usually get rose leaves, petals, twigs (without the thorns on) bramble leaves & branches - again you can remove the thorns, apple leaves & branches, rosemary branches, lavendar, lemon balm, nettles, dandelions, marigolds....I have all these dried from last summer....but also add the occasional fresh herbs like parsley (though it is high i calcium so dont give it often even though its adored), thyme, plantain, willow leaves & branches, and if the dried bits Ive mentioned are available fresh i add them too.
I find that sometimes to much fresh herbs give them upset tums so its a balancing act to introduce them gradually....as much variation is great to enable the buns to not be lacking in nutrients etc....:wave:

I give them a variatoin daily to make it interesting for them!:D

This time of year I feed mint, basil, parsley and dill and some dried dandelion and plantain daily with their allowance of veggies.

In the summer I tend to grow a more varied amount of herbs e.g. chamomile, thyme, lemon balm, varieties of mint, sage, marigolds, nasturiums, parsley, basil and rosemary.

My local supermarket sells huge bunches of herbs at 2 for 1.50. There is much more in one bunch than in one of the living pots you can buy. I keep them in water and feed them some every night. Mainly coriander, parsley and mint.

I might just give them a few stalks of parsley as a treat (not chopped) but i make them a plate of food up twice a day and i will mix in herbs with that. I try to make it as interested and varied as i can. :)

Usually as a feed/treat, where ever I remember to add something different I add this in another feed bowl, they love it. I use Excel ones :) Yum Yum!

Mine get the whole range that is sold in Asda. I go there every night and buy the reduced veg. Almost every night they have some herbs of some type. 2 days ago, I had a whole small trolley filled with herbs. All the bagged ones had gone down to 9p each.

Baring in mind I have 35 buns. They get veg / herbs, Rabbit mix or pellets, Redi grass or hay everyday.

i get a lot of reduced herbs from asda as well, they aren't always out of their sell by which is great.

they all have their faves; Buddy loves corriander, Blousy likes Basil and little Lula always goes for dill. :love:

i also buy thyme, mint and parsley and feed it all daily.

I feed mine dried herbs everyday with their pellets. Ive cut right back on pellets but added the herbs as i believe (please correct me if i am wrong) that they are better for their teeth.

I occasionally buy corriander, parsley etc from the supermarket if its on offer and they get it on a night with their veg. :)

Im thinking of growing herbs in a big planter in the summer :D

I'm always trying new things, although favourites include basil, parsley, corriander and mint :) I have one of those spherical veg holders that you can hang up so usually put the herbs in that along with whatever leaves i'm feeding - usually something like spinach, cabbage, watercress etc :wave:

Yes they regularly have herbs faves are basil, dill and flat leaf parsley so I rotate them with spring greens and kale, I don't chop them I just wash them well :wave:

I give Oscar parsley and coriander as a big part of his veg allowance, should I feed him more veg as well though? At the moment I tend to cut his amount of other veg down when he has more herbs...

Back