• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you worm your rabbits?

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
Do rabbit savvy vets recommend worming buns, my vets say that current research suggests it is best not to worm as it can affect some rabbits white cells, what does your rabbit savvy vet recommend and is there any evidence to support their recommendations, thanks.

after experiencing EC first hand, i would recommend everyone worm their buns every 6 months for the full 28 day course, bleaching the enclosure on days 21 & 28, it is MUCH easier to prevent EC then to cure it

this is my custards battle with EC, we were lucky, he was a fighter and managed to survive it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBCkhgcLoU

my vet hasnt really said anything either way though to be honest, and i had never heard of EC till i was face to face with it

My vets a rabbit expert and she's never said anything about worming, i don't know now :roll: Part of me doesn't want to put anything unnatural in them unless absolutely necessary but then again I wouldn't want them to get EC either....will be interested to see the rest of the replies to this post.

Could you make it a poll? :wave:

after experiencing EC first hand, i would recommend everyone worm their buns every 6 months for the full 28 day course, bleaching the enclosure on days 21 & 28, it is MUCH easier to prevent EC then to cure it

this is my custards battle with EC, we were lucky, he was a fighter and managed to survive it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyBCkhgcLoU

my vet hasnt really said anything either way though to be honest, and i had never heard of EC till i was face to face with it

Have you heard of any side effects of worming, how serious is the side effect on a rabbits white cells do you know?

Obviously I want to prevent EC if I can but I do not want to harm my rabbits, is worming the only way to prevent EC?

I do not know how to add a poll.

From what I've read recently it depends on the vet. I think because it's still being researched it has experts divided at the mo.

Mine needed a bloodtest so I asked for them to check for EC at the same time. Luckily Jasper doesn't have it. But I'll be keeping an eye out on what experts have to say about regular worming.
:)

My vets do recommend worming at least once a year as an EC preventative.
Worming is the only way to prevent EC as it is Fenbendazole that kills the ec spore.

According to my vet the side effects of worming are far less to worry about than the effects of EC itself.
As marmitesmum said EC is still being researched so there is so much conflicting evidence out there :?

From what I've read recently it depends on the vet. I think because it's still being researched it has experts divided at the mo.

Mine needed a bloodtest so I asked for them to check for EC at the same time. Luckily Jasper doesn't have it. But I'll be keeping an eye out on what experts have to say about regular worming.
:)

You're totally right, it is being researched. Sme experts are saying the fenbendazole doesn't penetrate the blood brain barrier so is totally ineffetive against active EC and are now starting to use something else; a different wormed.

Currently there is not a right or wrong, just what an owner and vet think is best based on the knowledge they have.

Have you heard of any side effects of worming, how serious is the side effect on a rabbits white cells do you know?

Obviously I want to prevent EC if I can but I do not want to harm my rabbits, is worming the only way to prevent EC?

I do not know how to add a poll.

Iv not heard of or seen any side effects of worming, to be honest, i veiw it the same as vaccinating, you could bring up the same argument about adding un natural things to your rabbit with vaccinations, but im sure no one on here would dream of missing their vaccs?

worming for 28 days is the only way to kill/prevent EC as fenbendazole is the only thing known at the moment to kill it, and bleach is the only thing that will kill urine spores.

Back