• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marnie chin - dramatic before and after pics

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Here is my 15 yr old chinchilla Marnie before her dental work, weighing just 460g - she felt just like bones with fur on and used to choke on the food she couldn't chew :(

009.jpg

008.jpg

My vet didn't want to operate on her because she was too old but I'm afraid I nagged :lol: as it was clearly either operate or pts.

But it all went fine and here she is now, I think about 4 months after having her molars burred, weighing 665g :D

044.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

Been a bit shocking looking at these tbh, I'd forgotten how rough she used to look :(

:love::love: She must feel so much better in herself too. Well done you for nagging. :D

Wow!! What a difference!:D She's a very beautiful chinnie! I hope she has many years left! :love::love: Will she have to have them burred again?

Wow!! What a difference!:D She's a very beautiful chinnie! I hope she has many years left! :love::love: Will she have to have them burred again?

Possibly - but given her age she might pass away naturally before it's needed again. She had never had hay till this year so I hope that her improved diet will stave off any more spurs :)

That operation has made her look so much younger too.Paws crossed here she goes on for another few yrs.Well done for nagging.you know your chinnie better than your vet!!!!

bless her, what a difference, how long have you had her :love:

i dont know if your know, but chinchillas should not have any plastic in their cages, as if they chew it it can kill them

bless her, what a difference, how long have you had her :love:

i dont know if your know, but chinchillas should not have any plastic in their cages, as if they chew it it can kill them

I know - a friend gave them to me and they came with that cage :(

I've had them since July but their vet treatment was so expensive I've only just got the money together for materials for a new cage, I hope to start building it this weekend, it's going to be awesome :D Pics to follow if it goes to plan!

Jenova Just the usual I'm afraid - she belonged to a friend of mine who no longer had time to look after her and who I think wasn't all that well informed about chins' care, hence the lack of hay and plastic cage.She was very attached to them though and still contributes to their care costs and likes to hear updates about them.

It really annoys me, the information pet shops especially give on chinchillas. When I got Cheech I was told she needed muesli mixed with guinea pig muesli. :shock:

Without the internet I would never have known how to care for her properly.

Back