• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back form vet- not his teeth but his eyes are worse than we thought.

Pumpkin has clearly been led astray by Teasel who I suspect set him up.

He managed to nudge the dog crate away from the puppy pen run to the point he could squeeze through. He then make the most of his break for freedom by pelting through the hall and head butted into the door of the lounge causing it to open [the lair of Doodee]

I heard the growls, stamps and honks pretty quick as I was working in my office next door. Doodee clearly did not like another bun in her lair and Pumpkin did not know Doodee was 'yawning' at him and about to attack. Both had their ruffs right up.

Heaved a huge sigh of relief I got to them in time, threw Doodee a parsnip as she loves them so much that distracts her from attacking. Shepherded Pumpkin back into the dining room to sort out his crate and puppy pen whilst he bunny danced around. Whilst looking for the wire to attach the crate to the pen Pumpkin wondered over to Teasels side of the large puppy pen hoping for a nose rub through the wire.

The little beast smacked him very hard on the nose with her front paws and its left a small bruise and scrape. [not enough to draw blood but certainly enough to hurt and make the poor boy yip and wonder why girls hate him]

Pumpkin is now hiding in a cardboard box in the crate and looking woebegone and will not come out. Teasel is sat on a cardboard box with what I can only describe as a smug expression of victory.

To think I thought he would be at most risk from Doodee. :shock:
[Doodee and Teasel have a vendetta- I suspect by being in her room Pumpkin smelt vaguely of Doodee and Teasel was not having any of that.]

Going to give the poor lad a head rub and cuddle with some fave noms to see if he is feeling a bit brighter.

Last edited:
Crikey! Pumpkin's sounds like a brave little lad (despite hiding in his cardboard box) nudging everything out of his way!! :lol::lol::lol: Must be an Adventurer!!!!

Pumpkin certainly is but I am taking him to the vets this morning.

Got up to find him with a puffy looking face this morning - no not myxi sort of puff but the eye and teeth caused it sort of look. I know he has had major problems with his eyes in the past at Becky's RSPCA branch and he is a dental bun, if however Teasel has caused it I will have words with the little madam when I get back from our vets.

He is still eating and bombing around so hopefully if its teeth starting to irritate catching it asap will be better for him as he will need a GA. He is way too lively for any one to get away with a light sedatation and burr.

The poor little chap is not okay. :( but at least this is not Teasels fault.

Saw my vet at 10am.
His teeth are showing some signs of needing burring in the next coupld of months rather than imminent but his left eye:shock: the inner eyelids all inflammed and swollen and gukky by the time I got him there so I am glad I made an appointment as soon as thye opened this morning.

The vet thinks that is far more than 'just teeth' behind it and wonders if he has something going on with the socket structure itself.

For today he has had a massive jab of metacam and b/s anti'bs to make him feel more comfy.
He has eye drops for the raving conjuctivitis that set up over night.
My vet is contacting the one used by Walsall RSPCA to get his full medical history and what has been tried so he can narrow down new things to consider. They then want to consult with the bun savvy vet they have to come up with a possible plan and discuss past treatments tried.

He is booked in for a sedation tomorrow to x-ray his head to check if his eye sockets and if his tooth roots are behind his nasty badly swollen eye or if there are any problems with his skull formation we need to consider.

They will do a dental whilst he is off with the fairies and have a much closer look at both his eyes to try and work out what is going on with his sight and inflamed inner eyelids whilst he is out. Hopefully it will be something that can be managed and he can be kept comfy although I suspect from what Becky told me whatever this is is liable to be chronic.

Poor little lad will hate me tomorrow when I leave him with the vet nurses but for now he comfortable and is swaying in the breeze with a slightly bombed expression on his face flopped on a warm piece of vet bed in the big dog basket in the kitchen.

Going out to track him down a bale of Alfalfa King Timothy as he loves it so much and buyt some of his fave herbs to sprinkle in to encourage him to forage when he is moved to recovery tomorrow.
Hope it goes well for him.

This is the forum cache with the photos Becky posted of him. Yesterday he looked like he did in the photos of him nomming a banana.
This morning when I got up it looked like someone had tried to inflate the one side of his head.:shock:
Thankfully Becky had warned me to watch out for this. Hope I got him pain relief fast enough- have to admit I have never seen anything like it before.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=245853&highlight=Pumpkin+RSPCA

:cry: Ive PMed you. Poor little man. Is his eye like it is on the photos of the link you posted above Cathy? Thats how they used to go when he was here :( He never had puss/gunk from the eye, just severe inflamation and it used to calm down within a few days, he had our vet baffled so im hoping your vet will look into it much futher :( We still have Pistachio and Cashew here and both boys have similar eye problems. I also know little Pecan still has alot of problems with his eyes, so its obviously genetic :( Poor boys xx

His left eye is much worse than that Becky, it is so swollen and sore he can barely open it.:( Thank you for warning me this could happen.

The whole of the area around his cheekbone and eye socket is so swollen yesterday he was fine, I honestly thought he had choosen to sit in his box to recover from the latest spat with Teasel but he may have been feeling a little bit grotty and I missed it.

If my vets can get to the bottom of this or find a treatement that either eases or cures this I will let you know in case it can help his litter mates.

poor pumpkin:( i hope that whatever is causing his discomfort can be treated or at least managed easily.
fingers crossed for tomorrow that he's soon bouncing around the house again:)

He seems to be feeling a little better and can now open his left eye for short periods - looks like he winces when he tries though.

He has hoped on top of Teasels night cage and is currently trying to trip my hubby over in the kitchen.

Pumpkin has been booked in for 8.30am tomorrow with the bun vet they practice can call in.
I have been warned they may need to keep him in for a while if they have to mess the area around his eyes about with surgery or if they hit any araes of real concern.

Just bought Pumpkin back from the vets. The little toad would NOT eat for the vet even with treats so after speaking with the vet nurse I bought him home to where it smells familiar to see if he was too scared and disorientated to eat in a place he did not know.

Poor lad is still swaying in the breeze but managed to go face down in a pile of basil and dried herbs once he was back in his dog crate. He is now pooing for England and dozing in between bites of dried herbs and fresh basil.

It was not his teeth.

In fact the x-rays of his jaw and skull showed good roots no abcesses or underlying worrying tooth problems.
On inspecting his molars the spurs the RSPCA vet spotted have begun to wear down showing the value of the hay diet for dental buns. They decided it was not clinically prudent to burr his teeth and to simply keep a watch and step in if they cause him problems later.

His eyes however......:shock:
Thankfully no skeletal abnormalities but he was born with a congenitally missing drainage tear duct in his left eye. They found absolutely no evidence he ever had one.

The inner eyelid is very badly scared as is the whole surrounding supportive soft tissue that holds the eye in place. They think this was caused by the congenital defect setting him up for major eye infections as a kit. Eye infections aggrivate the scarring and cause his face around that damaged and badly scarred eye socket to go up like a balloon.

The treatment will be eye drops aimmed at reliefing discomfort and aggresive anti/b injections with pain relief at the first sign of trouble flarring up.

His other eye has a tear duct but it is so badly scarred its keloided together and cannot be flushed. He may begin to have the same tendancy to eye infections later but the scarring is minor in comparrison to the damage around the left eye.

That expalins why he has kept getting eye infections no matter what Becky and the RSPCA vet tried. The poor boy has chronic eye problems that will continue to damage his sight and they will be tougher to manage than his teeth but the important thing is with good care and prompt vet treatment he should be comfy pain free and have a good quality of life. :D

I am so glad it was not an abcess into his eye socket he as he has so much zest for life. :love:

Poor Pumpkin, what a lot to deal with! Hope he is more comfortable now and that you can manage the eye problems quickly in the future without too many problems xx

Back