• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Facts about rabbits!

PrincessPinky

Mama Doe
Found this very interesting...

I new most of them anyway, but the one below in bold made me LOL!!!! now i know why i can never catch them :lol:

- Eyes located on the side of their heads give them a very broad field of vision

- Large, independently moving ears can make up to 12 per cent of a rabbit’s body surface and enable them to hear really well.

- A well-developed sense of smell alerts rabbits to the presence of predators

- Muscular hindlegs are used to stand up on while the rabbit scans for predators and are also thumped to alert other rabbits to danger

- Rabbits have long, powerful hindlegs that allow them to achieve speeds of up to 50 miles per hour for short bursts.

- If chased they use quick, irregular movements to help them confuse and out-manoeuvre predators. Now i know why i can never catch the little pests!!!

- A rabbit’s main mode of communicating is via scent. They deposit faeces, squirt urine and chin mark to communicate with other rabbits.

- Rabbits also use different body postures and vocalisations to communicate. However, their vocalisations are very quiet to avoid detection by predators.

- Group living is beneficial for wild rabbit survival.

- Rabbits are territorial animals and form complicated social structures.

- Wild rabbits live in large groups within warrens, which are divided into small family units of two to eight individuals, with a common group being a male and female pair

Back