• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside bun help

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
As most of you know jay and Ruby are outdoor buns.
they currently have straw and bedding but im in the process of having a new hutch made for them
what could i use?
ive seen carpet in some hutches and a litter tray could this be done with an outdoor bun or just indoor

and what wood treatment can be used to waterproof the inside of the hutch?

Lino + Litter Tray.

Makes everything so easy to clean :)

Fine for outdoor buns but in winter you'll need to fill up with bedding to keep them warm :wave:

cool just the current hutch is sodden in pea and rotting quite bad :(
and im trying to avoid that with the new one :lol:
its jay hes a gross boy kicking wee everywhere

im taking it they will just go in the litter tray as they prefer litter?

theyre having a bed compartment in the new hutch jammed with straw and bedding :)

At the mo' my two enjoy carpet in these winter months, but inspite of providing latrines- those plastic triangular boxes for corners, which they do use, they also have a particular area on the carpet they like to pee. Under that I've placed some replaceable cardbord incase it gets too sodden and then I put paper and shavings down over the top of the carpet.
Underneath I have a base of leftover kitchen-lino type tiles -easy to clean and protects the flooring, but they have no grip when they run on it, so again newspaper and shavings. All of this provides insulation aswell.
This is my first winter doing this. Come spring I'll play it by ear and see what they need.
:)

Use Cuprinol Garden Shades or Wilkinson Colour Your Garden paints to treat the hutch.

I would avoid carpet, the rabbits will chew/pull it up and it will become dirty and manky.

Find some non-slip lino/vinyl. Avoid tiles as the rabbits will pull them up at the corners.

Use Cuprinol Garden Shades or Wilkinson Colour Your Garden paints to treat the hutch.

I would avoid carpet, the rabbits will chew/pull it up and it will become dirty and manky.

Find some non-slip lino/vinyl. Avoid tiles as the rabbits will pull them up at the corners.

thankyou hunny :D

Mine have always had litter trays in their hutches/or shed depending on living arrangements, but mine are out on the garden almost everyday so there was never as issue concerning enough room in side a hutch. :D

Mine have always had litter trays in their hutches/or shed depending on living arrangements, but mine are out on the garden almost everyday so there was never as issue concerning enough room in side a hutch. :D
in the future mine will be out during the day and in at night, but the hutch will be made in the weekend and completely bunnyproof by the end of the month
:D
then well start on the run

Mine have lino on the floor and big litter trays (low sided plastic storage boxes from Wilko's about £5 each) I line the trays with thick newspaper - 2 or 3 whole ones, they like the Times! and top with masses of hay 5 or 6" deep and clean them out every other day. They also have areas with thick folded towels, fleece or Vetbed to rest on.

True, actually mine are to be found -even in subzero temperatures- outside in their run that's attatched to their shed. They have a home made subterrainean chamber in their run which they regulary use.
As for carpets, I took my lead by observing how they treated the carpet indoors. At worst they 'dug' at it, at best just treated like we do. It is covered and cleaned regulary. However, I don't see the carpet as a longterm feature.
Only problem I've had with the underlying tiles is their inability to grip. So newspaper and shavings.
I was glad of the Cuprinol tip as I thought I was restricted to P&H cagestain, which is a rank colour and stinks!
:)

Last edited:
Back