• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please, Jack Russell & A Bunny.

Sarah Chez

New Kit
Hi, we recently got a Jack Russell from a rescue centre nearby.
He is gorgeous, and is friendly with children. He's approx 3 years old.

Thing is, he's just noticed the rabbit. He just stands at her cage staring at her, and doesn't respond when we call him or even offer treats.
We were just wondering if there is anything we can do to make them get on? Or should they just be kept well away from each other? :(

Thanks, Sarah.

Firstly welcome to the forum, I live near Hull too :)

We used to have a Jack Russel and now have other terriers and I think he should be kept well away from your rabbit, our dogs stare and won't move no matter what we do when they have seen a rabbit in our garden and they would deffinately get it if given the chance. You must be very careful not to leave the dog and rabbit near eachother, the dog staring may also stress your rabbit.

Firstly welcome to the forum, I live near Hull too :)

We used to have a Jack Russel and now have other terriers and I think he should be kept well away from your rabbit, our dogs stare and won't move no matter what we do when they have seen a rabbit in our garden and they would deffinately get it if given the chance. You must be very careful not to leave the dog and rabbit near eachother, the dog staring may also stress your rabbit.

Yeah, he hasn't been allowed near the rabbit since. Thanks for your help :)

Jack Russell's are very hard to train out of their hunt instinct, almost impossible. They're like ferrets :lol::lol:

Hi there.

I have a jack russell. This is Minka

n517905660_1868876_7395.jpg

She is a rescue dog.

Firstly, I must stress that regardless of BREED, all supervision between preditor and prey should ALWAYS be montitored :wave:

Just because your dog is a jack russell does not mean that they must be kept away from the rabbits at all cost. My dog, Minka, no longer bothers with the rabbits. She was introduced to them slowly and with great care.

Firstly, I would have Minka on the lead and the rabbits loose (this was always done in the garden you see). I wouldnt make a big deal of it, the buns chose whether to come closer to the dog or not. If you are worried you dog might snap (which some JRs do), then place a muzzle on her. Eventually, they may show indifference, but that depends on the buns confidence and the dogs prey drive!!

Whatever you do, just take care. If you are not confident with your dog being around the buns then I wouldnt risk it. Always better to be safe than sorry :)

IMG00078-20090625-1409.jpg

(can you tell my brother was eating toast ont he sofa behind me? :lol: )

i have a jack russ x lakeland he chases my bunny who attacks the dog if hes had enough my rabbit is a minilop who takes no cr*p off the dog

My jack russell used to play with my mums huge lop.

Harry, the rabbit, would charge at Minka and nudge her to play. Minka would go into play pose and sniff his head and then run away. Harry would chase her and they would do it again and again. It was so funny. Minka was always careful with Harry because if Minka went near Harrys girls (I had a female trio... they took turns being in the run or free range) then he would chase her and bite her! :lol:

Awwww, Digby! :love::love::love:

Whats he like with other dogs, or wildlife?

Minka never chases any wildlife, apart from rats, mice, fledglings and toads :oops: I was so upset when she brought me a baby blackbird last year (I think she was playing too rough with it)

He's really really good with other dogs, loves to play. We haven't encountered any wildlife yet, we're working on his recall before we let him go dashing off across fields :)

He's really really good with other dogs, loves to play. We haven't encountered any wildlife yet, we're working on his recall before we let him go dashing off across fields :)

Fair enough! Recall and 'stay' can save a dogs life :)

My dog loves mole hills.... shes so funny with them, she will sniff them and then run away, as though she thinks a mole is about to pop out! :lol:

We have a Jack Russell, only had him since August. And he was the same as your Jack Russell. But Bailey was jumping up at the hutch and crying. As the months have gone on Bailey is much better, he's not bothered with the bunnies, only their food (he loves their pellets). Just before Christmas, I had to bring my Continental giant in, because he was losing some weight.

I've been slowly letting them meet, outside Dylan's dog crate. And all is well, they seem to get on fine. I don't think I will do the same with Wispa, as he is a lionhead and is so much smaller then Dylan and faster.

Edit: I think Bailey maybe a Jack Russell cross, as he has sticky up ears.
But any dog I wouldn't trust with a small furry animal.

Last edited:
I love Jack Russell's but, having seen them 'ratting' I wouldn't recommend allowing one access to any small animal, it's so instinctive that it I wouldn't be able to trust them.

I love Jack Russell's but, having seen them 'ratting' I wouldn't recommend allowing one access to any small animal, it's so instinctive that it I wouldn't be able to trust them.

Breed has nothing to do with how they should be treated around rabbits. Ratting terriers are actually trained to do that job, it isnt all instinct.

Back