• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable wood to use for shelf in crate?

Rykat

Mama Doe
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I can't find a definite answer on previous threads :?

For years my buns have had an untreated pine kitchen door fixed in their crates to give them another level and I want to add another to increase their 2nd floor space. The problem is that the doors aren't available anymore and I can't find anything similar so should I just leave it as it is (half the width of the crate, enough space for 2 bug buns to lie down etc) or change it to a proper shelf with mdf/pine etc?

If so, what wood should I use?

There are negative comments about pine, but I've not had a problem with using it so far, there's negative comments about MDF/Plywood etc .... I'm soooo confused :shock: :shock:

I've though about buying NIC cubes and making the shelf from that but it works out much more expensive.

Thanks all :D

Last edited:
dont use pine, its bad for bunnies.

I used MDF, as suggested by many members of the forum and by the guides available here.

I used MDF, never had any issues.
I stuck the sticky vinyl tiles to the floor area of the shelf.

dont use pine, its bad for bunnies.

:shock: I know pine woodshavings aren't good because of the fumes, but I thought the wood was ok. Alfie and Bubbles have got a shelter in their kennel that's made from pine. :?

:shock: I know pine woodshavings aren't good because of the fumes, but I thought the wood was ok. Alfie and Bubbles have got a shelter in their kennel that's made from pine. :?

I'm sure i was told about never using pine wood for bunnies. It's in my head as BADDDDDDD from somewhere, not the shavings though :?

I'm going to go research to backup my quote. :?

I'm sure i was told about never using pine wood for bunnies. It's in my head as BADDDDDDD from somewhere, not the shavings though :?

I'm going to go research to backup my quote. :?

I just did the same. :lol:

There's a lot of conflicting info but most I found (for OR against) was posted on yahoo answers and the like by randoms.

I did find this, which was written by Dana Krempels (who seems to have quite a few good 'rabbity' credentials.) (Scroll to the bottom to see the reply to the 2nd question)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2010/5/Safe-materials-bunnies.htm

I just did the same. :lol:

There's a lot of conflicting info but most I found (for OR against) was posted on yahoo answers and the like by randoms.

I did find this, which was written by Dana Krempels (who seems to have quite a few good 'rabbity' credentials.) (Scroll to the bottom to see the reply to the 2nd question)

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2010/5/Safe-materials-bunnies.htm

:thumb:

You beat me to it.

I'll carry on searching when i get time, but work is calling, how dare it :lol:

:I'll carry on searching when i get time, but work is calling, how dare it :lol:

Just ignore it. ;) You have more important things to do. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm still looking too, most of it doesn't look very reliable info tbh so it could take a while. :roll:

There's nothing wrong with pine as a solid wood :D:wave:

I think it'd rather use pine (as long as it's not pressure treated) over MDF which gives off a nasty dust when sawn.

Thanks for your replies :D

Maybe I've just been very lucky with my buns not having probs so far? :?

I'll work on getting MDF and get B&Q to cut it for me!

Just one question, aren't alot of hutches made from pine? :?

Thanks for your replies :D

Maybe I've just been very lucky with my buns not having probs so far? :?

I'll work on getting MDF and get B&Q to cut it for me!

Just one question, aren't alot of hutches made from pine? :?

Er yes! Because it is perfectly safe! :D

It's only sawdust/shavings that are not good because they release phenols when they break down (volatile hydrocarbons) or get covered in ammonia (wee).

Er yes! Because it is perfectly safe! :D

It's only sawdust/shavings that are not good because they release phenols when they break down (volatile hydrocarbons) or get covered in ammonia (wee).

Show off :p

:lol:

Thanks for the confirmation PL.

Hehe :lol:

Thanks also for confirmation. I knew shavings were a big no-no due to Phenols (same as normal anti bac cleaners etc) but wasn't sure about the pine.

My lot don't chew it, just wee and it's been great so far as I take the shelf out, lightly sand it and pop it in, fresh as new!

Pressure treated wood (outdoor use pine stuff) isn't so great - they don't use the nasty stuff on it anymore but it does still contain chemicals. That said our outdoor run is made from the stuff and Poppy chews it and is fine! :D However, it was bent and falling apart so we are making a new one this year and will be using untreated pine and painting it with safe wood preservative!

Our hutch is made from pine and melamine (chipboard coated with plastic), all the platforms, stairs and ladder is made from pine. :wave:

I would go to a local kitchen company (maybe howdens) and see if they have a couple of cabinet doors that have been scratched or damaged you can have

Some of the B&Q doors are cheap as chips.

I put chipboard on the floor of their dog kennel, then read it was bad the next day so it all came up :roll: Could have left it down as they have rubber mats on top of their wood now anyway :roll:

Back