• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Blind Bunny - Any Advice??

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
:wave:I will be taking care of a little dwarf nethie boy who is 17 weeks old and blind. I would appreciate any help, advice or website details that any RU members may know of. I know the obvious things like single storey hutches only, no steps, keeping everything in the same place and not moving them around - anything else??

make sure there isnt anything sticking out in his hutch that he could run into, and talking to them quietly to let them know you are there before you touch them.

Louie is blind and startles very, very easily. Would it be possible for him to live indoors? I hate the thought of a blind rabbit outside on their own, especially in a new environment.

This little lad has been brought up outside already - his new hutch has 2 covers over it for nighttime and 2 hidey areas where he can move away to in the daytime - I will keep an eye on him though to see if this would be a problem - thanks

Pumpkin is partially sighted, I know that causes slightly different problems but it also has some similar ones. He started his life outdoors but was moved indoors pretty quick by Walsall RSPCA as he was freaking over every sound as he could not locate the source.

He is totally laid back indoors and a lot happier and whilst he still startles it is not as bad as he was.

He varied between scared to move and utter maniac as he worked out the layout of my kitchen. He refuses to go near the kitchen door.

Pumpkin loves toys with edible treats hidden inside them like toilet rolls stuffed with timothy hay and a few pellets or herbs.

Talking and smell seems to work for Pumpkin.

Slopes with sides can be used or even pipes as tunnels between levels; I think some folk have used them in larger set ups. You need to ensure they are not wondering about on a higher surface without a safety barrier. I learned that the hard way when Pumpkin fell off the arm of my sofa thankfully into a pile of clean washing.:oops:

If he has any light awareness then shiney/reflective toys will scare the heck out of him.

My old blind bun Maxi used to love to have a small litter tray he could curl up in and feel all four sides at once. I think it made him feel safe.
Hope that helps.

My boy Phillip is blind (he only has one eye now but can't see out of it). He was living with his sister when he came to me and when she died, he was in total panic all of the time. Although he didn't follow her around all of the time, it seemed that he counted on her to warn him of danger (although he still listens for himself, without a friend, he was frightened of everything). When we got him a new girlfriend (a very gentle one as we tried him with one who bullied him), he settled down almost immediately. We have a double story hutch and he copes with the stairs etc fine (we had the hutch before he was totally blind). He even copes with stuff being moved as he tends to move fairly slowly (he is an old boy now though) but will bump into stuff when he panics. Like has been said already, talk to him to let him know you are there. It is helpful too, if you have phrases to let him know if you are about to pick him up etc so that he knows what is coming

iv got bunnies with cateracts but have fostered blind buns before,iit is important to keep the scent of things the same and i found indoors was a better enviroment for blind bunnies as they had less to worry about, of course time in a run could be ok too but its difficult for some to adapt,

i would suggest something on a flat level cage wise indoors something that he doesnt need to jump any lips or edges to get into, make sure blankets are always washed in the same scented washing powder and that you rbu a little of his scent (rub blnket onto him) before giving it back to him so he knows what it is, try and keep things in the same place as they soon learn where stuff is despite numerous bumps to begin with. also you will probebly find that he will sit on your feet a lot to work out where you are and will follow you around i dont know if they listen for your footfall or smell your feet or what but i noticed blind buns tend to follow you about more prehaps for security? a freind is always useful as a guide bun too but bonding can be perilous with the wrong bunny due to stress and unknown. block any squeezey areas up so that bun doesnt get stuck you can also tempt him with lots of yummppy scented foods into areas you prefer him to be. good luck, just ensure you talk to him and approach without any suddeness as this can startle them. they soon get used to you x

iv got bunnies with cateracts but have fostered blind buns before,iit is important to keep the scent of things the same and i found indoors was a better enviroment for blind bunnies as they had less to worry about, of course time in a run could be ok too but its difficult for some to adapt,

i would suggest something on a flat level cage wise indoors something that he doesnt need to jump any lips or edges to get into, make sure blankets are always washed in the same scented washing powder and that you rbu a little of his scent (rub blnket onto him) before giving it back to him so he knows what it is, try and keep things in the same place as they soon learn where stuff is despite numerous bumps to begin with. also you will probebly find that he will sit on your feet a lot to work out where you are and will follow you around i dont know if they listen for your footfall or smell your feet or what but i noticed blind buns tend to follow you about more prehaps for security? a freind is always useful as a guide bun too but bonding can be perilous with the wrong bunny due to stress and unknown. block any squeezey areas up so that bun doesnt get stuck you can also tempt him with lots of yummppy scented foods into areas you prefer him to be. good luck, just ensure you talk to him and approach without any suddeness as this can startle them. they soon get used to you x

Louie does this quite often, takes a wrong turn and ends up wedged up a wall or a cupboard :(

Little blind bunny coming today!!! Still not sure of a name - he's an orange dwarf nethie of 14 weeks - maybe Archie, Charlie, Mylo ?? Will be home about 5pm

Talk to him as you approach and keep things in the same place. Make his area exciting and boxes of nice smelly noms are a winner. Texture is important when it comes to toys.

I don't see why he shouldn't have a friend eventually, just take things very slowly and if things start to go wrong then just stop and keep the two within sight of each other and go back to basics. I think that you should take your lead from them if they start to bond through the bars it's a green light. :D

Good luck if I can help more you are free to pm me as I don't always keep check on threads.

Little Charlie Bun has arrived - he is adorable and settling in well. He is very friendly and not too jumpy at the moment . He loves his new home and has found his feeding bowls, he has been scoffing his food and nomming lots of hay - he's a real cutie!! Can't wait to see him in the morning:love:

Little Charlie Bun has arrived - he is adorable and settling in well. He is very friendly and not too jumpy at the moment . He loves his new home and has found his feeding bowls, he has been scoffing his food and nomming lots of hay - he's a real cutie!! Can't wait to see him in the morning:love:

That's great I can tell you are smitten already :lol:

Ahhhh! have you a pic of him??

yes :) he wasent the most normal looking rabbit, but had the softest fur:love:
IMG_7806-1.jpg

IMG_7804.jpg

we need pics of your new little one!;)

Back