• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering not buying anything Burgess again!

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
So after yesterday, I am now seriously considering no longer buying Burgess pellets.
Today, at the range I found SS... first time I've ever seen it tbh. Also found SS for ratties and gerbils so am happy.
I have become more and more and more angry as last night and today progressed about the small animal show yesterday, to the point where I am almost in tears when it crosses my mind. I keep getting pictures in my head of the little Nethies shaking and panicking. :censored:
I'm so angry that my heart is pounding and I feel ill.
I would scream if I could.
I'm so angry and annoyed that so many people (including those claiming to be rabbit-lovers and the RWA) think that this kind of show is ok, even though it is encouraging the breeding of buns and other small furries.
So yerp, SS, here we come!

Grrrrrrr!!!! :evil:

I haven't bought Burgess pellets for a while. My bunnies are much happier on Science Selective. :wave:

So after yesterday, I am now seriously considering no longer buying Burgess pellets.
Today, at the range I found SS... first time I've ever seen it tbh. Also found SS for ratties and gerbils so am happy.
I have become more and more and more angry as last night and today progressed about the small animal show yesterday, to the point where I am almost in tears when it crosses my mind. I keep getting pictures in my head of the little Nethies shaking and panicking. :censored:
I'm so angry and annoyed that so many people (including those claiming to be rabbit-lovers and the RWA) think that this kind of show is ok, even though it is encouraging the breeding of buns and other small furries.

just to say, Supreme who do SS sponser the London rabbit show

Are you aware that there are only two 5* championship shows in the country, one is owned by burgess, the other by science selective. They have the jumping at london, they didn't have an auction when I went but lots of rabbits for sale, a discovery area, and the same big hall full of rabbits and judges handling them in the same way. The London is no better than the 'Burgess Premier' show, and Science selective is just as involved with the london show as burgess is with their show

Ahhhh bism.... I'm stuffed then :/
Why can't food companies just do the right thing!!!!!!!!! For goodness sake...
Maybe we'll have to stick to Burgess then :/

Mine don't like either anyway. But the guineas do like the Burgess Hay.

I think Burgess do a lot of good though, I haven't been to one of these shows, but think of what good they do in trying to promote the right kind of diet for rabbits. And they do donate to rescues when in crisis etc.

I don't think there's a single rabbit food brand that hasn't been involved with shows at some point

You know the answer: profit. :(
I'm thinking of changing to Oxbow.

I use Allen & Page - there's probably something non-ethical about them but they are less 'commercial' I guess than the others as they are harder to get hold of.

unfortunately i have no choice scooter been on burgress since quite a little baby. and its the only thing i can get in bulk and doesnt cost me much. they dont sell SS anywhere here.

I've seen oxbow and allen and paige at the larger shows. Of course they're not on the scale of burgess and supreme but I don't think you will find a food that hasn't been associated with exhibition and breeding

but think of what good they do in trying to promote the right kind of diet for rabbits.

But I don't think they do :oops: I don't really rate the 'excel feeding plan', it basically ignores the general concept of hay and tells you to feed 'burgess excel fresh forage/herbage' with the pellets, treats and veg, as a complete diet. But forage is dried grass, not hay, so the nutrition content is different and not high enough fibre/too high protein IMO. Every rabbit I have ever had or fostered on burgess has suffered from excess caecatrophs and every one has ceased to have the problem when I have swapped them off it.

I'm really not a fan :oops:

not sure of the story about burgess i'm afraid but i don't think i've ever bought anything burgess:?

ss was what eric was on when i had him and is widely available by me so now my guinea pigs and hammies are on ss too.

i was given a bag of burgess food as the diet recommended at my vets. i always take my own picnic when my 2 go in though.

But I don't think they do :oops: I don't really rate the 'excel feeding plan', it basically ignores the general concept of hay and tells you to feed 'burgess excel fresh forage/herbage' with the pellets, treats and veg, as a complete diet. But forage is dried grass, not hay, so the nutrition content is different and not high enough fibre/too high protein IMO. Every rabbit I have ever had or fostered on burgess has suffered from excess caecatrophs and every one has ceased to have the problem when I have swapped them off it.

Am I missing something? According to the ingredients Excel Forage is made of timothy hay, dried dandelions and marigold. And more generally Hay is just dried grasses.

Kittykat23 - there are two types of Burgess forage, the timothy hay, marigold and dandelion one and the dried grass one :) not sure what the dried grass one is called.

I don't really like Burgess either Santa, I've also had problems with excess caecotrophs on Burgess and people have posted links on here to reports about a meat content in the pellets :shock: which can't be good for anybun!

I've seen oxbow and allen and paige at the larger shows. Of course they're not on the scale of burgess and supreme but I don't think you will find a food that hasn't been associated with exhibition and breeding

Yes I am sure you are right.

Back