• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

crystal has slits in her ears!! :'(

XcrystalX

Warren Scout
hello, my crystal has slits on top of her ears, but i don't know what they are!:(:shock: they've been there ever since i bought her from the breeder. i just can't figure out what they are, it also means she'll get marked down when she's showing. Also, she has a ring around her leg, and on that leg, her foot is permenantly curled up, i don't know why.:( we took her to the vets and they said there is nothing there!:cry::cry: any suggestions??

yes, but it would be risky! i had a look under there and it doesn't seem to be hurting her..... :shock::cry:

I assume the ring is a silver metal BRC ring. I had Bungles removed wen he was under GA for his neuter.

As for getting marked down wen showing- who cares! Be grateful u have a healthy bunny and love her for who she is. Bunnies do not enjoy showing, they get no benefit from it whatsoever!

yes, but it would be risky! i had a look under there and it doesn't seem to be hurting her..... :shock::cry:

I dont really understand what the risks are but I thought you said that it was making her foot curl up, must have misunderstood :?

I would suspect it means the ring is the wrong size.

I think that she needs it taken off. I don't see how she is showable at all though. It would be best to get her spayed (and while she is under the GA, the ring can be cut off) and then maybe find a boyfriend for her to live with.

Hang on. I'm really embarrassed about asking but why does she have a ring? I don't mean it in a nasty way I just don't know:oops::oops::oops:

Murphy had a BRC ring on his leg when we got him from the rescue and the vet removed it without having to put him to sleep. If he is a fairly laid back bunny this may be possible.

Hang on. I'm really embarrassed about asking but why does she have a ring? I don't mean it in a nasty way I just don't know:oops::oops::oops:

Breeders put BRC rings on their kits when they intend to show them when older. It means each kit is identifiable as an individual (they have specific numbers and letters on for the year, stud, etc).

:)
I dont really understand what the risks are but I thought you said that it was making her foot curl up, must have misunderstood :?

we took her her to the vets, and they said it's not so tight that it's causing pain, but they said she would have to go under, because there's no room to put pinchers under or anything. i don't know if this is true, this is just what i was told :)

I'd suggest taking her to a different vet! If her foot is curled up but the vet says there's nothing wrong, then either her foot isn't curled up (which I guess it must be otherwise you wouldn't have noticed it was different from the other one) or the vet didn't do a very good job at finding out what was wrong.

It sounds to me as if the ring might have cut into her leg or something causing a problem with that foot...in which case she wouldn't be a good candidate for showing anyway. I would suggest finding a good rabbit vet and getting their opinion on what is wrong with her foot (including removing the ring if necessary).

Personally, regardless of issues with her foot and ears which may preclude it, I wouldn't recommend showing anyway; it's a very unnatural environment for rabbits and won't do them any good - only stress, which can really take its toll on bunnies. I would recommend spaying and getting her a companion so she can have a happy life as a much loved pet :)

Can you take photos of her foot and ears, it's quite hard to picture what you are trying to describe?

The rings are British Rabbit Council Rings they have letters and numbers on which are codes for the rabbits breed, age etc. If they have a ring on it usually means they have been shown or were intending to enter the rabbit into shows.

I would suspect it means the ring is the wrong size.

I think that she needs it taken off. I don't see how she is showable at all though. It would be best to get her spayed (and while she is under the GA, the ring can be cut off) and then maybe find a boyfriend for her to live with.

why does she need spaying? she doesn't live alone, she's with her neutered bunny friend zoe.:D

why does she need spaying? she doesn't live alone, she's with her neutered bunny friend zoe.:D

Awww cute, she already has a friend :love: How old is she? Spaying is recommended for two main reasons. First, when they reach maturity they can often become territorial and unspayed females will often suddenly fight with a hutchmate because they view them as a 'threat' to their territory. I would think this risk would increase hugely if you were to take one or both of them to shows: if they are taken together they could well fight when they smell all the other rabbits, and if they are taken separately they are likely to fight when you put them back together again afterwards (not recommended anyway as rabbits won't understand why you've taken them away from their friend).

Second, studies show that uterine cancer is incredibly common in female rabbits - some studies show up to 85% and whether you believe the statistic or not, many vets who spay for rescues say that they see an awful lot of cancer or pre-cancerous changes in bunnies they spay. It's remarkably common and the risk can be eliminated by spaying, and of course the younger they are spayed, the safer the operation is.

Can we see some photos of them both?? :)

:)

we took her her to the vets, and they said it's not so tight that it's causing pain, but they said she would have to go under, because there's no room to put pinchers under or anything. i don't know if this is true, this is just what i was told :)

I dont know either, I was just a bit puzzled.:)

Did you not notice she had slits in her ears when you bought her? Why dont you ring the breeder and ask?

Anyway, you cant show a rabbit with a curled up foot and scarred ears. So it sounds as if you will have to give up that idea.

Do the vets not know the cause of the curling foot? Or is it just a deformity?

I would get the ring removed whilst she is under GA being spayed, just in case.

Awww cute, she already has a friend :love: How old is she? Spaying is recommended for two main reasons. First, when they reach maturity they can often become territorial and unspayed females will often suddenly fight with a hutchmate because they view them as a 'threat' to their territory. I would think this risk would increase hugely if you were to take one or both of them to shows: if they are taken together they could well fight when they smell all the other rabbits, and if they are taken separately they are likely to fight when you put them back together again afterwards (not recommended anyway as rabbits won't understand why you've taken them away from their friend).

Second, studies show that uterine cancer is incredibly common in female rabbits - some studies show up to 85% and whether you believe the statistic or not, many vets who spay for rescues say that they see an awful lot of cancer or pre-cancerous changes in bunnies they spay. It's remarkably common and the risk can be eliminated by spaying, and of course the younger they are spayed, the safer the operation is.

Can we see some photos of them both?? :)

they are both 4 years old, and taking pics soon!

Did you not notice she had slits in her ears when you bought her? Why dont you ring the breeder and ask?

Anyway, you cant show a rabbit with a curled up foot and scarred ears. So it sounds as if you will have to give up that idea.

Do the vets not know the cause of the curling foot? Or is it just a deformity?

I would get the ring removed whilst she is under GA being spayed, just in case.

we didn't really notice them, we don't have his number anymore. i have said to my mum about spaying, she looks like she's thinking about it, but she isn't exacly young anymore! plus it will be expensive. can anyone give me a breif idea of the price of this?:)

Back