• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shutting the run at night

BinkyBunneh

Warren Scout
Should I shut off the run at night before I go bed? The run is on patio and made from fox-proof wire, just thought it would add extra warmth if the door was shut (the door is right beside the sleeping area and I don't want my buns having a chill!)

Am a little worried as I'm completely new to rabbit ownership:?

they should be ok and before you go to bed have a look at them and i'll bet there in the run and not in bed!
i leave mine free all the time and they have the choice then... :)

I'd put them away just before they go to bed rabbits sleep and rest at night so they wont feel the need to run as they do in the morning or in the evening I always think if anything ever happened to them I'd feel awful.
Hope this helps

Ive decided not to let mine out at night because we are right by the countryside i havent seen fox's in the garden as the neighbours goat attacks them but im not risking it lol

I shut mine in at night but they dont really use their runs much anyway (sensible bunnies). Even though I only have 2 small catflaps I can notice the difference in their from open catflap to shut catflap. Also its nice to know that there safely inside and tucked up for the night :love:

Thanks guys, have locked them in for the night, one of my cats were showing WAY too much interest :lol:

They've stayed on the top floor most of the evening/night and hopefully might come down a bit more tomorrow. I had to move their food from the bottom to the top floor, they are a little retarded :lol:

Fingers crossed they aren't scared of the ramp and will come down more

shouldnt be a problem with the diet.......hay should always be unlimited. :D

:thumb:

I let mine have full run 24/7 - somebody once made the point that, if the accomodation isn't safe enough to allow them access overnight, then chances are it's not safe enough during the day either. Which makes sense I think.

As long as it's foxproof (weldmesh, not chicken wire ... locks on any doors... the run firmly attached to the hutch) and the buns have hiding places they can retreat to if they're worried, they'll be fine.

They might take a little while to master the ramp - Bubbles did. :roll: :lol:

:thumb:

I let mine have full run 24/7 - somebody once made the point that, if the accomodation isn't safe enough to allow them access overnight, then chances are it's not safe enough during the day either. Which makes sense I think.

As long as it's foxproof (weldmesh, not chicken wire ... locks on any doors... the run firmly attached to the hutch) and the buns have hiding places they can retreat to if they're worried, they'll be fine.

They might take a little while to master the ramp - Bubbles did. :roll: :lol:

Well, I will leave the run open tomorrow night, I'm sure there aint no real danger as its on patio, but thats just me being overprotective :lol:

Will have to put most of the tasty food on the bottom floor, they are very greedy rabbits and not much will stand between them and their noms -not even the ramp! :lol:

I'd put them away just before they go to bed rabbits sleep and rest at night so they wont feel the need to run as they do in the morning or in the evening I always think if anything ever happened to them I'd feel awful.
Hope this helps

I believ rabbits snooze for short periods throughout the day and night. I know my two sleep/rest/much hay through the middle of the day (11-1ish) and are always outside from about 7-11pm. And I assume during the night and early morning aswell. :)

I agree with KarenM - if your run isn't safe at night then it isn't safe in the day either :wave:

Back