• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hello! its been quite a while, Benjamin was very ill

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck

Hello everyone :) you may not even remember me as its really been some time since I last posted. I am Benjamin MacBunningtons mum. He was the special needs bunny that I was given to care for earlir last year, and not expected to live.
(See him here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuAzTsyaO4 )
Well, Benjamin relapsed dreadfully a few months ago. He had some terrible, severe fits,(very rare in a rabbit, however his brain damage is most likely the cause) hurting and stretching his muscles and causing him quite severe after pain. He went into frequent gut stasis causing him more severe pain and distress. One of his team of vets believes that part of the damafe in his brain affects a particular nerve (I am so sorry, cant rember the name of it...visalgic?) which controls the function of his gut, his desire to eat, etc. There was not much hope for him, but despite all his trauma, he continued to fight, continued to be loving and sweet and gentle, so even though many people said I should 'let him go', his own blatant desire to live made me, and my wonderful veterinary team keep fighting for him, and with him.
After intensive care as an in-patient, and many weeks of regular visits to the vet, and much medication, care, love, multitudes of injections, benjamin recovered! He is now one of the 'Nawty Brigade', playful, mischievous, greedy, very demanding of fuss and attention, and an absolute joy. One of his vets stated simply that Benjamin is (QUOTE) ''The nicest, loveliest rabbit I have ever known, in all my years of veterinary medicine'' On that particular visit, Benjamin endured 3 seperate injections, and an uncomfortable external stomach examination and manipulation,, and yet as soon as he was released from his vets examining hands, he placed his front paws against his vets chest and reached up to lick and kiss his doctors chin.
And they say animals dont 'know'??
I know in my heart that Benjamin COULD relapse again, his gut could fail again, his fits could return, I will deal with that IF it happens, but in the meantime, hopefully long term, I will enjoy every single precious moment with my beautiful, loving, nawty little rabbit, and hopefully one day, find him a very special friend of his own kind :love:
Warmest regards to all,
Anne xx

Poor Benjamin, he has been in the wars :cry:

I hope that he will now remain as well as possible for as long as possible xx

Thankyou Jacks-jane and Kittykat :) yes, he certainly has 'been through the mill' as they say. However, over recent weeks, his glorious bulbous behind has slowly returned, his digestive system is functioning beautifully, and other than the occasion 'flicker' or petite mal, noooooooo heart-wrenching fits :thumb:
He's very spoilt though, lol, but he deserves it :D

Thankyou Tinsel :) I am very fortunate to have a wonderful veterinary team behind me and the creatures I rescue, I have been with them for many years now and trust them totally. At one point, during Benjamins last decline, I became distressed and frantic with worry and shame in case I was too blind to see if the time actually did come to set Benj free from his awful suffering. I mentioned this to one of the vets. I mentioned my fear to one of the vets, and he just said that if that time was to come, they would indeed let me know if I didnt see it myself, and then reassured me that they didnt believe that time had arrived. His words were more than enough to comfort me, as I knew he spoke the truth xx

Back