• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sheds! Converting a brick shed into a home for buns?

zayna1

Warren Scout
:wave: Wanting to expand space for buns, so I want to move them both out of hutch into shed. However the shed is actually made of bricks, but it will be insualted.
The concerns I have are:
It will be too cold in there for them? Will a brick shed with insulation be colder than a wooden insulated shed? (i'm concerned about night times:) )
The shed has a good lock, but do you think mice/rats :shock: (ARGH!!) will be able to find their way in? Will it be big enough for 2 buns (small ones, lionhead and mini lop) Here's what it looks like.
shed2.jpg
[/IMG]
(split into 3)

It will either have to be the one on the left (we will have to put in windows), which is around 3' by 6', or the one in the middle, which is 6' by 6' . The reason my dad isn't too keen on the middle one is because it has all his tools/bikes/other junk stored in there, the one on the side is pretty much empty, and will be emptied out completely. Planning on adding an extra mesh door on the inside, with ramps and shelves etc. We're planning on insulating it with loft insulation, bubble wrap, and then plywood sheets. Also, with the one on the side, we can attach a run via catflap, whereas with the middle one we would have to have a lone standing run. What do you think? Could it work as well as a wooden shed? If it doesnt work out we will probably have to buy a wooden one and do the same. :)

Last edited:
I think it could work really well, would need an attached run as well though!

Have you a small hutch or even an old pet carrier that you could put in there stuffed with hay for warmth during the winter?

I think it could work really well, would need an attached run as well though!

Yeah thats why the side one would be more convenient i could get a huge run going down the side of the house and make it really nice, with soil do dig in and stuff, (the floor on that side is all concrete too) But the middle one is a bit bigger, and already has a window. :? but either way we'd have to put in another window as this one is pretty small!! And yeah, I could stuff pet carriers with hay! Great idea. I'm also going to try large plastic boxes stuffed with straw or hay, with holes cut into them for ventilation and to go in and out :D

Oh, and how would we go about insulating it properly? The floor is concrete, and I want to put lino down on the floor, but also on the walls slightly because they have a habit of peeing kind of high up in corners!! I was thinking polystyrene or loft insulation, and then plywood sheets, then lino. But the floor would be cold. Do you think we should use like polystyrene sheets on the floor, then lino on top? They will have shelves, ramps and loads of toys etc.. Were also going to make it a kind of stable door with a window in the top bit :D

Oh, and how would we go about insulating it properly? The floor is concrete, and I want to put lino down on the floor, but also on the walls slightly because they have a habit of peeing kind of high up in corners!! I was thinking polystyrene or loft insulation, and then plywood sheets, then lino. But the floor would be cold. Do you think we should use like polystyrene sheets on the floor, then lino on top? They will have shelves, ramps and loads of toys etc.. Were also going to make it a kind of stable door with a window in the top bit :D

:wave: I found the silver backed 'bubble wrap' worked really well- I imagine a lot easier to use than polystyrene aswell :) We covered the floor and walls in insulation and plywood then the lino on the floor.

We have a brick outhouse. Although our's is a lot bigger than that with lots of windows. We also have a shed. And in the winter not a single water bottle froze in the outhouse. Half of it is plastered the rest we haven't done yet. And I think that add's to the warmth. Make sure you have even flooring. We don't and it's a :censored: to sweep.

We've had no mice/rats in our outhouse but I'm sure no matter the hutch/house/shed they can get in, just keep it clean etc.

Because we use it for the rescue bun's we don't have a run attached. I do advice having a wire mesh screen door, we're building a one, so we can keep the inside of the outhouse secure, but also allow fresh air, as our window's don't open.

If possibly you could always build a lil' aviary around it and a catflap in the door?

I think a walk in aviary would be nice, attached to the end one.

It will look lovely when it's done. If there are several levels you will probably find they spend most of the time off the floor anyway, mine do.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Lol it will be more of a fenced in area down the side of the house. (yeah our garden is tiny!) So I don't think an aivary would be an idea for me...:shock: The area is kind of 6ft wide, and pretty long (dont know how long, its the length of the house and around 5ft more) I dont think i'd really need an aivary, because it will be between the side of the house and the fence :) but the opening will be fenced off with a gate for them :) So yeah I dont think it will be as luxurious as it sounds, but I hope they like it :)

:wave:Mine are in a brick outhouse like this at the moment and I am currently trying to arrange to get a cat flap fitted so I can attach their run.

I think it's great in winter because its dry and protected from the wind but it get sooo hot in summer and I have to move them outside. I think it depends on what time of day it will get the sun - mine gets it late afternoon which is why it gets so warm. I'm sure they will love it! :D

Sounds good to me - I only suggested an aviary type structure so that they can be in it all the time and you could sit in there too :D

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do.

Lol yeah I wanted an aviary too, but I don't think there will be much point, I don't think they'd be able to climb the brick wall, so it'll be pretty much the same as an aviary. :D I prefer it much more to actually be in a playpen with them, so they can run around you and you can play with them, without having to stick your hand in through a hole in the top :lol:

Looks goood deffo attatch a run though to for day light.. My bun was in a concrete shed when he was a single bunny not much light.. :wave:

Back