• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

opinions on my housing please!

tiger_lily

Mama Doe
Ok, so this is what Oscars accommodation is like now...

He has a Ferplast 120 cage as his base, which has a hay rack, litter tray and his main bedding area in. The floor is covered in megazorb and there is lots of hay in his bedding. The only time he is shut in his cage is when both me and the OH are at lectures during the day (I think it's now only thursday mornings from 10am-2pm), the rest of the time he free ranges in our house.

He has full access to our living room (about 10ft x 12ft I would say, though I'm terrible at judging sizes!), the dining room (another 6ft x 8ft maybe?) and the hall and kitchen, though he never goes in either of these even when the doors are open (think it's to do with the flooring). At night-time, he is restricted to just the living room.
He also has a pet carrier and a cardboard box to use as bolt holes around the living room, and lots of toys to play with too.

How else can I improve this? I know it would be best if he wasn't shut in the cage at all, but we think he would set off the burglar alarm, and the OH won't let us leave the house without setting it. We don't know how to change the settings so that it is only certain rooms...

Any other comments most welcome :wave:

Sounds fine to me, but then my buns are outsiders. Seems he has plenty of room and activities. I'm presuming wires and cables and other chewy things are out of his way. :)

Why is he restircted when you are both out, but not when you go to bed? Surely he could reak the same havoc when unsupervised over night?

Just thinking he could be left in the livingroom while you are out too. Or could he have a puppy pen attached to the cage for when you are out, and give him a bit more space.

Other than that it sounds fab

Why is he restircted when you are both out, but not when you go to bed? Surely he could reak the same havoc when unsupervised over night?

Just thinking he could be left in the livingroom while you are out too. Or could he have a puppy pen attached to the cage for when you are out, and give him a bit more space.

Other than that it sounds fab

Oh, it's because we don't set the alarm when we are in bed at night, but we do when we leave the house. We aren't sure if he would set it off running around... It's nothing to do with what he could destroy.

Yes, all the cables are out of his way (except the phone cable as we discovered last week :s)

Oh, it's because we don't set the alarm when we are in bed at night, but we do when we leave the house. We aren't sure if he would set it off running around... It's nothing to do with what he could destroy.

Yes, all the cables are out of his way (except the phone cable as we discovered last week :s)

It cost me £25 to get the technician to change the sensor in the living room, as the cats set off my alarm once or twice in the 8 months previous (not my idea) Have you tried leaving the alarm on,when you are in? I think you would find he is too small to set it off, but different systems do differ

It cost me £25 to get the technician to change the sensor in the living room, as the cats set off my alarm once or twice in the 8 months previous (not my idea) Have you tried leaving the alarm on,when you are in? I think you would find he is too small to set it off, but different systems do differ

Hmmm, might have to give it a try next time we go somewhere close... Can't change the sensors though, house is rented and don't think landlady would be too impressed!

Personally I think it all sounds great as it is. He is not shut in at night when rabbits are most active, only for a few hours during the day when he probably snoozes anyway. Don't change a thing you are doing great for him!:D

Your set-up sounds really good apart from shutting him away. Could you cover the sensor in 1 room and confine him to that?

If I read it right bunny is only confined for 4hrs a week approx. I think you have one lucky bunny. :)

Your set-up sounds really good apart from shutting him away. Could you cover the sensor in 1 room and confine him to that?

Yeah, I might try this because the light still comes on when he is moving around, just need to find the masking tape!

I only asked because I was in touch with a rescue a while back while looking at getting a rescue bun for Oscar once he is neutered, and told it wasn't suitable for two rabbits because there wasn't a big enough enclosed area...

Back