• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possibly a silly question?

kstevens7

Young Bun
I recently got my boy, Roger, neutered - on Monday, to be precise. I'm not sure if he's small for his age (I'll post pictures below) but he's three and a half months. I know that testosterone is related to growth in humans, but I don't know about rabbits? I'm worried I've stunted his growth. He's tiny compared to my doe, Riley.

Sois_Ton_Memoire

Sois_Ton_Memoire

Don't know if the pictures work...
How can I make them?
x

I dont know about testosterone and growth, but neutering at that age is routine with males, Im sure they wouldnt do it if it was bad for them.

Is he getting his fair share of pellets/ eating okay?

also I cant see the pictures, you need to upload them to photobucket or somewhere and then post the IMG code thing on here :)

I recently got my boy, Roger, neutered - on Monday, to be precise. I'm not sure if he's small for his age (I'll post pictures below) but he's three and a half months. I know that testosterone is related to growth in humans, but I don't know about rabbits? I'm worried I've stunted his growth. He's tiny compared to my doe, Riley.

a>

a>

Don't know if the pictures work...
How can I make them?
x

I wouldn't worry too much atm he has lots of growing to do yet, I think my buck fully matured around a year and a half and sort of 'filled out' and looked bigger.:wave: I tried editing your code because it seemed really long but, it's saying the images aren't there so I'd say try again with the IMG code.:)

Assuming he's the correct weight for his size, he may just be destined to be a smaller bunny than your doe.

Alfie and Bubbles are both mini lops but are completely different sizes. :)

That's a very common and normal age to get a bunny neutered at, in fact, for many reasons its the best age.

I've personally nto seen evidence that it stunts growth or anything, however, manytimes the buck is smaller because when a boy mates with a girl he needs to be smaller so that the girl doesn't have kits too big for her body, so I presume that's a quirk of nature.

I wouldn't worry about him to be honest, as long as you used a good vet then the vet wouldn't have done it unless he was healthy.

I have a brother and sister, the boy was much smaller than his sister for a long time but now they are a bit over 2 they are pretty much the same size.
He was neutered at 12 weeks.

If you have your 2 together you need to bare in mind that he can still be fertile for about 6 weeks post neuter :wave:

Okay that's made me feel much better. I worry about the smallest things to do with them.

He is eating fine, a small amont of pellets everyday plus lots of hay (as well as some greens every so often). He's got a good appetite but is still skinny, I'm guessing because all of his sprinting around. He's a very happy boy.

My doe is a dwarf lop and actually fairly large (I think, anyway). I don't expect Roger to be the same size as her yet, or even ever, but I just wanted to make sure I havent taken it into my own hands and destined him to be tiny forever! He is a dwarf lop as well, but I suspect him of being a cross-breed as he has helicopter ears.

As for him being fertile for 6 weeks, it's no problem, well except for him still being a little pest. Riley (the doe) was spayed months ago, and luckily puts up with Roger as she's quite laid back. They don't want to be apart so I felt I shouldn't give Roge the extra stress. . The vet was experienced with rabbits and I have every confidence in him. Roger has also recovered really well so I'm not worried there.

Thank you so much everyone for your help - it has made me feel a lot better. With the pictures I was just being stupid and posting the wrong code - haven't done this before! Here they are:

IMG_0392.jpg
[/IMG]

And here's Roger:

IMG_0408.jpg
[/IMG]

Back