• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny gagging?

Candiflare

Mama Doe
Not really sure how to describe this, but I have noticed Penelope doing something that looks like this. It's while she's eating that she contorts her face and it looks like she is finding it very hard to swallow. She sometimes has to turn her head round and under to go back to normal. it doesn't seem to phase her and she carries on eating but the look of it is a bit worrying...

Was it banana? I've had many bunnies do this when they shove too much banana in their mouths and then it almost seems to be a throat clearing thing. I've never seen any any problems afterwards, but it looks horrible and it must feel horrible for them too.

I agree with Jane to get her checked. Is she eating with the others, and cramming too much in her mouth. Have you fed her separately and given her a small amount and watched her eat?

My chinchilla did this when she had bad dental spurs - I think it was because she couldn't chew her food into small enough pieces, so was choking as she tried to swallow stuff that was too big.

Thanks for all feedback. It happens most often when she is freeranging and taking little bits of grass and herbs, then happens second most often when I am feeding them all by hand and she is vying for food.

The first time it happened I thought "uh oh she's eaten something bad" but she was absolutely fine and back to normal the next second. It looks like she's struggling with food in her mouth. Almost like if a human was given something nasty to eat - that grimace and gagging to get it out.

I can't recreate it for the vet, as it's quite random when it happens, but I can at least get the vet to look at her teeth.

Back