• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Castrated buck getting doe pregnant?

Castrated Buck getting doe Pregnant?

I adopted a beautiful Rex Doe a few months ago. She is mainly a house rabbit, but has large outside run etc to get the best of both worlds. Although she has bonded beautifully with my chihuahua I noticed an advert for a 4 month old rescue castrated male and decided to get her a bunny friend too. I adopted him from a vets that had been handed in stray pregnant rabbits, and were told he had been castrated two weeks previously. Our doe was 5 months old when we got him and my Vet won't spay Rabbits till six months. We knew after only 2 introductions that it would have to be separate cages till we had her spayed as they started fighting. The first time he mounted her for about 3 seconds and she then turned on him and he ran away. Thankfully both were fine afterwards but that was a month ago and I haven't risked them together since. They have indoor cages side by side now. A month on and my Doe is showing worrying signs of pregnancy! She's 6 months now but I haven't booked her spay yet for fear of her being pregnant and the vet not being able to tell. It's 30 days now since she was mounted so is it possible she could be pregnant, or is it more likely a phantom pregnancy?

I adopted a beautiful Rex Doe a few months ago. She is mainly a house rabbit, but has large outside run etc to get the best of both worlds. Although she has bonded beautifully with my chihuahua I noticed an advert for a 4 month old rescue castrated male and decided to get her a bunny friend too. I adopted him from a vets that had been handed in stray pregnant rabbits, and were told he had been castrated two weeks previously. Our doe was 5 months old when we got him and my Vet won't spay Rabbits till six months. We knew after only 2 introductions that it would have to be separate cages till we had her spayed as they started fighting. The first time he mounted her for about 3 seconds and she then turned on him and he ran away. Thankfully both were fine afterwards but that was a month ago and I haven't risked them together since. They have indoor cages side by side now. A month on and my Doe is showing worrying signs of pregnancy! She's 6 months now but I haven't booked her spay yet for fear of her being pregnant and the vet not being able to tell. It's 30 days now since she was mounted so is it possible she could be pregnant, or is it more likely a phantom pregnancy?

Male rabbits are fertile for up to 6 weeks after castration so there is a good chance your doe could be pregnant. She will be due any day if she is! Fingers crossed for you she isnt and please stick around either way as you can gain a lot of advice on where to go next depending on whether she has kits or not. Best of luck please keep us updated XxX

WOW! Six weeks!!! I am shocked as I rehomed him from a Vets and they knew he would be living with my un spayed Doe for a month. All I was told was there will be some mounting but that will settle down. Sadly they fought so fiercely, that I am fully expecting that even when she is spayed, and fully recovered that they will need to live apart. No babies as yet but i've put a box full of nesting things in for her just in case. Assuming she does give birth I am planning on keeping the babies too. Thank you for your reply I will keep you posted either way x

WOW! Six weeks!!! I am shocked as I rehomed him from a Vets and they knew he would be living with my un spayed Doe for a month. All I was told was there will be some mounting but that will settle down. Sadly they fought so fiercely, that I am fully expecting that even when she is spayed, and fully recovered that they will need to live apart. No babies as yet but i've put a box full of nesting things in for her just in case. Assuming she does give birth I am planning on keeping the babies too. Thank you for your reply I will keep you posted either way x

Im shocked the vet didnt tell you that! How did you try and bond them? It can be a tricky thing bonding rabbits and there are certain steps that should be followed to get the best results such as a small space on neutral territory ie where neither rabbit has been. Spaying may help so dont give up hope. How great to hear you would keep the babies :love:. Do keep us posted.

Also this section of forum is hardly ever visited by forum members so dont be disheartened by the lack of response. People just wont have looked here.:)

Just a quick update, It's been 37 days now since he mounted her and no babies so I am guessing it was a false alarm. This is a great forum, and I have found some good tips on bonding Rabbits. My two Rabbits are cuddled up lying side by side under the kitchen table as I type this, I am thrilled!!! :D Thanks again x

Just a quick update, It's been 37 days now since he mounted her and no babies so I am guessing it was a false alarm. This is a great forum, and I have found some good tips on bonding Rabbits. My two Rabbits are cuddled up lying side by side under the kitchen table as I type this, I am thrilled!!! :D Thanks again x

I would say your safe now :D Glad you like the forum :wave: Ive learnt so much in my time here and just keep learning. It would be great to see pics of your bunnies! ;)

Kiara and Mr Biggles enjoying each others company!
pic.jpg

Last edited:
Back