• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why does my rabbit eat so much? She's like a little piggy!

zayna1

Warren Scout
So my bun is around 9 weeks old now, and a right little piggy! She always has a constant supply of hay, however, even if she has some left, and i am re filling the rack, she hardly lets me get my hand in there! She'll try to grab all the hay straight out of my hand. She also does this with pellets. And also, when I'm giving her and my older bun treats at the same time (i.e. 1 treat each) she will devour hers, then while my other bun is enjoying his treat she runs over and tries to take it off him :lol: She is pretty small (mini lop x) and no matter how much i feed her she still seems to be hungry :S When my older bun was younger he never did anything of this sort :S lol i dont get it :S do your rabbits do this?

It is natural for rabbits to be eating pretty much continuously and to be constantly hungry, especially when so young and growing - they need the energy. Hay is the best thing for her to be eating lots of, but it is low in calories so they need to eat a lot to get enough out of it - which is great. It's very positive that you have a 9 wk old that loves their hay - great stuff :thumb:

Also, as a prey species, they will naturally feed as much as they can when food is available as it makes sense to stuff it in fast and when they can access it, in case there are times it is not safe to do so, it is instinctual.

It is natural for rabbits to be eating pretty much continuously and to be constantly hungry, especially when so young and growing - they need the energy. Hay is the best thing for her to be eating lots of, but it is low in calories so they need to eat a lot to get enough out of it - which is great. It's very positive that you have a 9 wk old that loves their hay - great stuff :thumb:

Also, as a prey species, they will naturally feed as much as they can when food is available as it makes sense to stuff it in fast and when they can access it, in case there are times it is not safe to do so, it is instinctual.

I agree with this. Also, she is very much still growing and like a child going through a growth spurt will likely eat more. Some bunnies are also much more foody bunnies and enjoy it more tha others so she might just be a foody bunny.

Oh ok then so its normal :D The plus side is that i will be able to train her easier than my other bun who isnt too bothered about his food :?:shock:

Back