• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make a ramp

stranger23

Mama Doe
ok im converting a two tier cage into an upstairs and downstairs one but im just wondering if there are any requirements to make a ramp like does it have to be at a certain angle to make it easier for the bunny to get up and down? does the little strips of wood across it need to be a certain space apart to make getting up and down easier?

Yes and yes mostly. A steep angle will be very difficult for bunny, so the longer and less sharp the incline the better really.

We started off with wood batons for grip but actually find that carpet off cuts make a much nicer, softer and grippier surface for our buns. We use strong commercial velcro to hold it in place which means it is easy to change and swap for a new piece if it gets too soiled or stained. :wave:

Thank you i will make it as little incline as i can, can make it a 2foot long ramp (the biggest bit of wood i have) will have to see if i can get some carpet offcuts for it, where did you get the velcro from? i like the idea of being able to change it

Thank you i will make it as little incline as i can, can make it a 2foot long ramp (the biggest bit of wood i have) will have to see if i can get some carpet offcuts for it, where did you get the velcro from? i like the idea of being able to change it

My husband uses the velcro at work for mounting computers/screens etc to walls - I think it's just the extra strong stuff you can get from CPC or Dabs or B&Q and places like that.

Carpet isn't appropriate for all rabbits however, some may chew it although you can reduce this by keeping it within the boundaries of the ramp, and some breeds such as Rex buns will be prone to sore hocks if they spend too much time on carpet due to friction. That said, the offcuts we use are pure wool carpet left over from my mum having her house recarpeted, and now we have a whole load of our own from having ours done, less friction with natural materials than you would have with a polypropelene or mix carpet.

We originally had rubber car footwell mats from halfords cut up and glued onto the ramp, wipe cleanable and the grooves gave great grip, but one day Poppy nibbled the edge of the piece at the very bottom of the ramp and fears of ingestion/obstruction made us change to carpet - which actually they fly up and down just as easily - but our ramp is a good 3ft long :wave:

Thank you so much for the advice will see if i can find some velcro as i know ive got bits of carpet lying around somewhere, Roger isnt a chewing bunny so im not worried he is going to chew the ramp or carpets or anything really he isnt interested if its not food :)

Back