• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice! Just seen two 1' x 2' rabbit hutches for sale!

Colyflower

Alpha Buck
I've just been down my local high street and discovered that the local DIY/Garden shop has decided to venture into the pet market! Where the Dulux paint mixer used to be are now two indoor rabbit cages with 4 little rabbits and a loads of birds. The rabbits and birds look ok but I'm worried that the owner of the shop has no experience in dealing with animals. The shop hasn't changed hands as far as I can see but what is also worrying is that the wooden hutch that is sitting outside his shop is tiny, couldn't be much more than 1' x 2'! Not only this but my local pet shop is also selling the same tiny hutch, which by the way also sells live animals. Is there anything I can do about this?

My initial thought was to buy the hutches off them in exchange for a guarantee that they will not sell such a small hutch in the future. I'll plaster their shops with RSPCA guidelines, dismantle the hutches and give the wood to a guy I know who makes nest boxes for blue ****. Sound like a plan or does anyone else have any idea about how I might pursue this matter?

Last edited:
I'd write them a polite letter explaining why that sized hutch isn't appropriate along with minimum guidelines for piggeis and buns, then go on to suggest that they take a stance on animal welfare, drawing in the people who feel passionately about their pets and therefore spend the most money. You could mention that they could make more profit selling larger hutches at a higher price.
I'd end on the fact you don't feel you can support a business which promotes what amounts to cruelty (possibly throw in the laws about animal welfare here) and you really hope that you aren't going to have to take your business elsewhere.

I'm sure someone else might be able to advise on whether there's anything you can 'officially' do.

Can you contact the council to see if they are now liscenced to sell live stock?

You can also download the Rabbit Welfare Society's leaflets off the internet. Take them some of those.

Let us know how you get on.

Back