• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser a bit off his noms / update 3rd Feb

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
He is currently nomming dried plantain with great gusto, but has left some of last nights pellets and has only nommed the parsley from his morning greens. Leveing pellets is very unsuual, and a bit worrying as I have actually reduced the amount he gets. He has also had some hay from a sample bag this morning- a new type I must order more of ASAP. It looks like I might be kale shopping today. :oops::roll:

Last edited:
Have you had his teeth checked? When Tinkerbell had her jaw abscess she became very fussy about what she would and wouldn't eat.

Have you had his teeth checked? When Tinkerbell had her jaw abscess she became very fussy about what she would and wouldn't eat.

Just what I was going to ask.

Also, I have known entire Bucks go off their food due to feeling ....*cough*.... somewhat frustrated :oops:

Maybe he's just tired? I was worried about Jack a couple days ago because he wasn't eating his pellets (very unlike him, he begs for pellets constantly) and it seemed he hadn't eaten very much for at least a few hours. I had him exercising and was rubbing his tummy, thinking he was going to go in stasis, even though his stomach sounded normal. A little while later he started running around the room and acting and pooping normaly, turns out he was just tired :shock::lol: Same thing happened with Ben about a month ago. So hopefully its nothing to worry about and not a mouth problem :)

Thank you for the vibes. I'm really not sure what's going on. :? I have rather naughtily bought him kale, which went down very well. :oops: However last night's pellets are still there. I will put new ones out soon in case they have gone soft.

In answer to questions, his teeth have been checked recently, but not under GA. I'm very interested in Jane's post. I will probably arrange for his neuter after my parents' holiday (first week in Feb) as I need them to drive us to the main practice of his vet.

Thanks you. :wave: He's had some fun in the run this afternoon, but something is clearly not right if he is not eating pellets. He is nomming selected favourites, and has done some poos so hopefully this will keep up and he'll soon be back to normal.

Poor Spenser :(

You know my thoughts on this already ;) I hope you are able to get to the bottom of his problems and that he is feeling better soon x

Poor Spenser :(

You know my thoughts on this already ;) I hope you are able to get to the bottom of his problems and that he is feeling better soon x

Yep, I'll ask if they will look at his teeth when he's in for neuter, hopefully soon after my parents' next holiday. His furry face was actually stuck in the pellet dish last time I was out, but he may just have been fishing the bits of Bunny Nature Fruit salad I'd added. One good thing is that once he woke up properly this afternoon he was bouncing about in his usual manner.

I think if it was me, given how often he is being fussy, I would get the neuter done asap so that his teeth can be checked under GA and if they look OK ask for a dental x-ray.

That way if there is a problem it can be rectified sooner rather than leaving a potential problem so it possibly gets to a point where he isn;t eating and needs a GA while poorly and then maybe a second Ga for the neuter :?

I think if it was me, given how often he is being fussy, I would get the neuter done asap so that his teeth can be checked under GA and if they look OK ask for a dental x-ray.

That way if there is a problem it can be rectified sooner rather than leaving a potential problem so it possibly gets to a point where he isn;t eating and needs a GA while poorly and then maybe a second Ga for the neuter :?

Thanks. :wave: I've just been out to close the cover and he's eaten his kale but no pellets (or not a noticeable amount). Unfortunately logistics here mean there is virtually no way I can get him netuered before the second week in February - even if the vet can fit him in. Does a dental x-ray also involve GA?

Thanks. :wave: I've just been out to close the cover and he's eaten his kale but no pellets (or not a noticeable amount). Unfortunately logistics here mean there is virtually no way I can get him netuered before the second week in February - even if the vet can fit him in. Does a dental x-ray also involve GA?

Yes they can only be done under GA due to the positions the rabbit has to be in. If his teeth look ok consciously there still might be a problem at the very back which again can only be picked up with a GA

If he is in pain thats a long time to wait :( If he continues to not eat pellets he needs to be seen asap.

Last edited:
Oh Spensey Wensey! Eat some pellets gorgeous boy. Someone with more experience than me might be able to either agree or disagree with this but, because the weather is soo cold and a bunnys metabolism sooo high - should you make sure you are feeding him plenty of what he will eat, so as his temp doesn't drop? I'm just thinking of Lola and her low temp, that last time. I'm only thinking out loud though, so not sure if this is good advice or not!

Oh Spensey Wensey! Eat some pellets gorgeous boy. Someone with more experience than me might be able to either agree or disagree with this but, because the weather is soo cold and a bunnys metabolism sooo high - should you make sure you are feeding him plenty of what he will eat, so as his temp doesn't drop? I'm just thinking of Lola and her low temp, that last time. I'm only thinking out loud though, so not sure if this is good advice or not!

Rightly or wrongly this is pretty much what I am doing. I need him to keep nomming until he can see his regular vet (hopefully) on Monday as my folks aren't available for an emergency vet trip.

Rightly or wrongly this is pretty much what I am doing. I need him to keep nomming until he can see his regular vet (hopefully) on Monday as my folks aren't available for an emergency vet trip.

Hope he's ok and just having a temporary lull on pellet eating! My out of hours vet is really good at chatting on the phone. You could always call and talk to a real, live person - if talking to us virtual lot doesn't make you feel any better!!! :lol: Have you seen him drinking?

Hope he's ok and just having a temporary lull on pellet eating! My out of hours vet is really good at chatting on the phone. You could always call and talk to a real, live person - if talking to us virtual lot doesn't make you feel any better!!! :lol: Have you seen him drinking?

He actually had a BIG drink this afternoon. I was very excited as I so rarely see him drink. I wonder if this is significant. When I phoned emergency vets back in September I just got to talk to an admin person.

Back