• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

1st cut, 2nd, cut 3rd cut hay

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
What on earth????

Ok so my guilty secret is out: I answer questions on Yahoo!

One questions is on about you shouldn't feed buns and pigs 1st cut timothy/meadow hay

I have to say I have never come across this EVER! I think it is a load of tosh. I do wonder if the price goes down as the quality goes down with the cuts during the year.

What do you say RU?

Someone (who may not have been reliable) told me you shouldn't feed freshly cut hay to horses because it upsets their stomach and she was talking about first cut whilst saying that.

Could it somehow be related to that?

Mine are fed solely on first cut and we've never had a problem with it. They love it and are all thriving :D

Well according to another person answering the question you shouldn't feed first cut hay to rabbits and guinea. They didn't say why.

Someone (who may not have been reliable) told me you shouldn't feed freshly cut hay to horses because it upsets their stomach and she was talking about first cut whilst saying that.

Could it somehow be related to that?

Mine are fed solely on first cut and we've never had a problem with it. They love it and are all thriving :D

I know first cut has the most nutriets in it. But as you have said I have had no problem feeding it to the buns

Taken from The Willow Warren's website:-

Timothy is a particular type of grass.If it is cut at the time when it flowers (this is called a "1st cut"), it is at its tallest, with a long stalk, resulting in a very coarse hay.The 1st cut usually takes place around June/July time.

If it is cut again in August, it won't have the long stalk,but only leaf and will be softer, although still coarser than hay made from other grasses.

The healthiest hay for a bunny, guinea pig or chinchilla is a hay that is high in fibre (benefiting digestion and tooth wear), low in energy and, in many cases, low in calcium. Timothy, especially a 1st cut, meets those demands. Because of the tall flower stalk, it has a high stem to leaf ration, providing lots of fibre to chew on.

Absolutely nothing about not feeding 1st cut hay to bunnies. I think that's rubbish to be honest.

Last edited:
Back