• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dust free Hay, West Wales Willows or another

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
Which is your favourite hay and why? How much do you order and how often? How many and what hay eating animals do you have?

Timothy hay bales from farm shop near me. Used to buy DFH which cost me about £40 a month, now I go through a bale every 2/3 weeks so £10 a month at most and the bunnies prefer it :D

I love dust free hay -their soft hay is lovely at the moment. I use oxbow for timothy hay though. I have 4 bunns and 8 piggies plus various boarders/foster animals. I get through at least 1 small sack of dust free hay a day (£4 if you buy in lots of 10) and 1 large box (25lb) tim hay a month. I get the dust free bales when they are available (not at the moment). the worst problem is getting rid of the waste- our compost heap is enormous!!!:lol:

I wan't impressed at all with Dust Free Hay but it was the bagged stuff I had so not sure if it's the same quality as their 'usual' bales but it wasn't very green at all and neither the buns' nor the piggies were very keen.

I don't buy a lot of treat hay but when I do I usually use the Hay Experts and get Oxbow Timothy Hay - might try West Wales Willows stuff though. I use farm baled meadow hay for their 'normal' hay which both guinea pigs and rabbits' love! :)

Local Farm hay I have 6 bunnies, and get 4 bales at a time and store it in the old coal shed. They get through a bale every 2/3 weeks. and are arranged in 3xpairs

Farm bales for litter trays and munching and Willow Warren Timothy as treat hay per day (coz it's expensive :shock:). Each month I get through I large box of Timothy and around half a farm bale.

Used to buy all Dust Free Hay from Norman but last year's 'stalky' wasn't up to their usual standard and my bunnies wouldn't touch it. May have to try some new 'soft' for the piggies.

West Wales Willows hay EVERY TIME. :thumb:

IMO there is not a better hay out there and I wouldn't feed mine anything else. :D

Just got a sample from Hay for Pets and I think I will be using them from now on, I've never seen Oscar eat so fast, and it's so green and smells so sweet too :D

Just got a sample from Hay for Pets and I think I will be using them from now on, I've never seen Oscar eat so fast, and it's so green and smells so sweet too :D

I've never seen them before! Which hay did you get if you don't mind me asking? x

I hadn't either until somebody posted a link to them last week... I got the Ings hay and the Timothy and Rye, both going down very well as we speak :)

Thank you. May well give them a try - I like the fact postage is all included in the price so you know what's what up front.

Thank you. May well give them a try - I like the fact postage is all included in the price so you know what's what up front.

Ive just read the thread and I have ordered it. Lets see how it goes.
The wales one was much more expensive (because of the delivery fees)

I hadn't either until somebody posted a link to them last week... I got the Ings hay and the Timothy and Rye, both going down very well as we speak :)

I posted the thread and link, I found it on a Chinchilla rescue website, they were recommending the hay, they say its 'top quality' and they get a donation to their rescue from them too.

Last edited:
I'm very lucky in that one of the horses fields is grown for hay and usually we use that as I know how it's been looked after, stored etc but we ran out early this year so I used willow or timothy, sometimes have to pop round the corner petshop for 'normal' meadow hay if I'm running short.

I posted the thread and link, I found it on a Chinchilla rescue website, they were recommending the hay, they say its 'top quality' and they get a donation to their rescue from them too.

Thank you! When I order some I'll let you know what the buns' and piggles think of it.... :wave: xx

I am always on the look out for new hays etc, I am glad Oscar is enjoying it.

Thank you! When I order some I'll let you know what the buns' and piggles think of it.... :wave: xx

Thanks its helpful to know what experiences others have.

Back