• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Nancy bunny at vets very ill.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
My beautiful Nancy, a black lop earred bunny is at the vets for a second night with an impacted bowel. He thinks it maybe caused by her eating bread, is this possible ?????? Nancy and her partner Sunshine have had wholemeal bread as the occasional treat for several years. Could it be something else. The vet said she has not pooed since yesterday but is now treating her. I AM SO UPSET. Nancy is a rescue bunny I got from Greenwich Rabbit Rescue 3 years ago. They think she was 2 or 3 years old. She was in a bad way. Was used for breeding, left in her own faeces, has a metal ring around her leg and was covered in a mite infection. I had never known such a nervous bunny, she used to shake so much every time I picked her up.

Got her as a companion for my male bunny Sunshine. We just lost our little Girl Bunny to a heart attack as a fox tried to break into their eglu, she was 9 years old. I only lost her brother 18 months before. Girl Bunny and Boy Bunny, the barn yard bunnies as my young son called them. I got them too as rescues at 6 months of age.

Sunshine and Nancy really get on so well, they love each other, in fact he has become very possessive of her. They do everything together and she follows him and learnt how to be a real bunny again by doing everything he does.

Early 2009. NANCY WAS ATTACKED BY A FOX, IT RIPPED HER EAR OFF. They were still in the eglu, couldn't get in but got her ear. I suspect she survived as she came from such a bad back ground. THEY HAVE BEEN INDOOR BUNNIES, ever since. But that was just the beginning, Nancy needed 2 major operations. First one cocked up by an emergency vet, she left some dead skin which in 10 days become necrosis. My wonderful vet managed to successfully remove it. It was months of treatment. What was so heart breaking was keeping them apart in seperate hutches while she healed. When it was her turn for a run she would just sit at the corner of his hutch and pine. Then I thought the necrosis had returned so I put her back in with Sunshine, I have never seen such a happy bunny ever. She recovered very quickly then.

Now two years on she is at the vets, with this impacted bowel. I cried all night. She would hate being away from Sunshine and with strangers. Sunshine is very depressed. They are Mr and Mrs Herb. She is little Nancyikins. My special little girl. Our Nanc. No-one on my fb understands. Not many people understand how much you can love rabbits. I am an onging joke on how much money I spent on her operations. Even though my partner and I am broke, we will pay anything for her to be better. I am so grateful to the woman at a rescue centre in Middlesex who told me about this site today, so I can say how much upset I am. I want my Nanc safely back at home with us all. I miss her so much.

I am so sorry to hear that Nancy is very poorly :cry:
Hopefully she will respond to treatment. It is possible, I have had a couple of Bun's come through the same thing. It did take almost 2 weeks to get them better though, so dont feel too disheartened at this stage.

Please keep us updated about Nancy's progress xx

Aww you couldnt have come to a better place. Everyone on this forum understands how deeply you can love a bun and ubfortunately alot of us know how terrifying it is when they become seriously ill :(

Rabbits can recover from this with the right treatment and lots of nursing, so stay positive. I am tginking of you, Nancy and Sunshine and sending loads of get well wishes her way. Shes obviously a very lucky and well loved bun :love:

Oh btw, with regards to the bread Im not really sure. Personally I dont feed mine bread as it is starchy, but I know some people do :wave:

Poor Nancy, she has been through so much I really hope you don't lose her now :(

Is it possible for Sunshine to stay at the vets with her? I always take my bonded pair to the vets together. I understand there might be a reason why she would need to be seperate, but it might comfort her if its possible.

Lots and lots of vibes for Nancy, keep strong xxx

Many thanks

I will let you all know how she is. Now worried Sunshine is not hungry but I guess he is very upset. Going to try and upload some photos. xxx

Yes, I wondered, if at all possible, could Sunshine be with her at the vets? As Debster says though, it's not always possible.

I shall phone the vets, but I doubt it as he needs to moniter her eating and pooing. That won't be possible if he is with her and if in seperate hutches that would stress them both. xxx

Vet is going to call back at 10 pm tonight. Hope he does as he was meant to phone me yesterday but didn't. But at that stage he did not know what was wrong. Have put on a pic of Sunshine and Nancy sitting together in their litter box in the living room. Can't work out how to put on more photos. Have at least a 100 of Sunshine and Nancy.

Nancy no better but no worse, coming home tomorrow

Vet phoned at 10 pm tonight. Amazed at such dedication. Nancy still not pooed since yesterday, not eating much. Vet said to bring her home to be with her partner. Thinks it will help her. I hope so, I think it will. He is going to give me loads of info on how to help her. He said he has seen alot worse. Everyone please think of our wonderful Nancy. xxx

No not tonight as I guess they are closed. He wanted me to pick Nancy up at 1.15 pm at the local vets, but she is at the main surgery 30 minutes drive away. I can't drive. Anyway would have got a cab if could have brought her home. But going to pick her up at 10.30 tomorrow, cant take Sunshine as they have got our basket. We are in a semi rural area so cant get another one, and I guess letting him loose in the car would stress him. Hoping she will be happy just to see me.

Fluid therapy (fluids given by subcutaneous injection or IV) is ESSENTIAL in cases of cecal impaction. Not because the Rabbit is peripherally dehydrated but to minimise the absorption of fluid from the guts which would further dehydrate the mass and potentially lead to a full obstruction.

Giving an osmotic laxative-LACTULOSE- will help draw fluids given therapeutically INTO the guts, rehydrating the mass making it softer. It is then possible to break the mass down with manual manipulation.

Good analgesic cover and prokinetics (Metoclopromide and Ranitidine or Domperidone) are also necessary.

Is this the treatment your Rabbit is having ? It will need to be ongoing, often for more than a week.

I hope your Bun recovers very soon xx

Nancy back home

Hi thanks for your kind words and thoughts for Nancy. She is back home. Looking at the vets print out she was given metoclopramide on Thursday and Friday. She also needed her back teeth trimmed as they were started to cut her tongue.

Nancy finally pooed quite a bit at the vets this morning and had a good meal. She kept rubbing my hand on the journey home which was about 40 minutes. She is also taking 2ml of pineapple juice a day, which she loves and baytril for another week. Now she is back in her hutch with Sunshine.

Back