• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody Bunny

muszi-luv

New Kit
I have a house bunny who's just turned 1 1\2, she was handled alot when she was younger!! but had to give her to my sister at about 4 months old to look after as i moved to jersey for a year for work, back now and she is a moody little thing! i know my sister took very good care of her! she is very aggressive whilst in her cage, and in her run outside, yet when running freely inside (she's a house bunny) she is very friendly and will come up to you and doesnt bite, i know it's most likely to be her hormones, will it die down, our 5 previous rabbits, 4 females and 1 male have never had this problem, although 2 of the females did have kits, the other two were sisters, and were very friendly, maybe my muszi needs some bunny company, i know rabbits are social animals, maybe a neutered male or would it be too late to introduce her to another bun. thanks! :D

Is she neutered? (sorry if I overlooked that)

If she isn't neutered it will be hormones and territoriality most likely. You should get her neutered,

nope shes not! but i read somewhere your meant to get them spayed young, is she still young enough, bit concerned about gettin her done!

nope shes not! but i read somewhere your meant to get them spayed young, is she still young enough, bit concerned about gettin her done!

At one and a half she is still considered a young bunny :) many of us have also had girls spayed at much older ages than that, but obviiously, the sooner the better, both for her behavioural issues but also to eradicate the risk of hormonal cancers.

As long as you have a vet that is good with rabbits you only face the standard minimal risk.

For some rabbits it's actually not unusual to be defensive of their cage/hutch, it's their home after all. I have not found a way to solve this issue, but I consider it normal.
By the way, you should spay your girl. It's not too late as long as she is in good health and can sustain the operation. Likewise once she has recovered it's not too late to introduce her to a male, although that must be done very cautiously as your bun clearly thinks she's the boss.

Back